snare bed design and effects..

anthony marquart

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
As I'm very new to drum building I would like to get some information in snare beds, more precisely the impacts of depth and width.

What would be considered deep? what is shallow? What are the effects of each? Also the shape, curved or flat? width?

I have 2 snare drums that I think have maybe too deep of beds,.. to tune the head you can clearly see the the hoops are pulled down further over the snare beds. Place the drum on a flat surface, snares down, and it will rock back and forth on the hoop. I can tune the drums, and I think they have great sound. but maybe I'm missing something.. I have 2 more shells I'm working on right now that have what I think are very shallow curved beds,... and I'm not sure what to do with them,..

Thank you for any information you can provide..

indedrum

DFO Sponsor
Reaction score
The best way to learn is to look at snare drums others have built, and build a bunch off drums and experiment. The general guidelines are deeper = less sensitive/less buzz, shallower = more sensitive/more buzz.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A certain bed offers a certain snare reponse, but you can influence it to a degree by using different snare wire end plates.
With a deep bed response can be on the dry side, with less buzz. Another aspect is you can hit the drum hard and it won't choke.
With a shallower snare bed you can get a wetter snare sound at low volume (more buzz too), but they can also choke the tone at high volume. Angled end plates on the snare wires can remedy that, creating the impression of a slightly deeper bed. With a deep bed you can get a slightly wetter sound with a wire end plate lying flat against the head.

cymtrich

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Interested, who makes angled end plate wires ?
michael, look at fat cat snare wires. they have "pitch" for shallow beds and "no pitch" for deeper beds. bill

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The very generic "Snappy" snares are angled. The very high-end Canopus snares have straight end plates, but without "channels"(Pearl style), so if you use snare cord instead of straps, they angle angainst the head as well. My favorites so far, the chrome-plated ones. But the simple Snappy wires are just fine. They were good enough for anyone in the 70s/80s I guess.

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
According to the guy in this video
Its desirable to have the wires lifted off the drum at the edge of the head ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think the main thing is the upward pressure of the wires against the snare side head, mostly in the center where the low frequencies occur. A deeper bed does this, or the mechanics of the end plate.

Old Drummer

Reaction score
According to the guy in this video
Its desirable to have the wires lifted off the drum at the edge of the head ?

This is very interesting. I've been battling snare buzz from my high tom on my Gretsch Catalina Maple snare, and for the first time in 50+ years, today I discovered the existence of snare beds and their possible effect on buzz.

Helping to excuse my ignorance is that after starting out with a wooden Ludwig snare and dealing with buzz, I replaced it with a Premier 2000 and didn't worry about buzz again until I got this Cat snare. The different snare system on the Premier 2000 seemingly countered the buzz problem, so I never had reason to learn about snare beds.

More recently, one of the tricks I've tried to reduce buzz from my Cat snare is to put tape under the ends of the snare wires, and that seems to help a little. Evidently, the tape has a roughly similar effect to a deeper snare bed, although the video makes me think that it would be more effective to raise the sides of the snare wires than the whole thing. Maybe I should buy a set of these PureSound snare wires and see what effect they have.

In the alternative, maybe I'll just buy another Premier 2000 or one of the other snares with snare systems that sidestep the bed-and-buzz problem. They're a lot less headache.