Snare Buzz and Tuning Advice

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I hope you guys can help with these couple of questions.

One of my snares has a buzz from the wires that kicks in only on the butt side of the drum after it's been hit. Basically once the drum strike decays there's a quick, but annoying, buzz from the butt side of the reso head. Any ideas on how to get rid of that? Snares off center? Reso too tight or too loose? Snare bed issue? I hate that strainer and will replace it. Wonder if that could be it.
1634668779132.png

It's this Doc Sweeney strainer. Even with the snares disengaged, you can't get that timbale sound without turning the tension know nearly all the way down.

My other question is about an 8 inch tom. I have a G2 on there now. I want to open the little guy up a bit (it's a tad choked) but maintain the same pitch and sound. Will an Evans G14 help with that? Or with both heads being 14mil, will it not make a difference?

Thank you in advance.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everyone lv's a good buzz except when it's the snare. Your sure to get a lot of good advise on this one, I usually just bypass all the tweaks and go for a new set of wires, or I'll buy a new drum! But that's just me. Good luck.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've got one set that has an 8" tom, and I was liking good old coated ambassadors on the 10" and 12", but not the 8" - it felt a little choked. A forum member had mentioned that he had tried a coated diplomat on his 8" and really liked it. I happened to have an 8" diplomat, tried it and really liked it. If I was going to use clear or coated emperors on the 10" and 12" I would probably use a clear or coated ambassador on the 8".

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You can’t let these things get over on ya. Showed them the business end of my shears
View attachment 523754
Luckily it didn't come to that! Lol

I wound up pulling the heads and cleaning the inside of the drum. It's only a year old, but had some dust inside, even a bit trapped under the reso head collar. Snare beds looked even so I reheaded, retuned and retied the snares. It all worked out really well. Drum sounds great, and I messed with three or four different tunings, all of which I liked. It seems that different snare tensions react better with different head tensions when it comes to that buzz.

Still not loving that strainer, and I'll be replacing it soon enough.

I figure what the hell, I'll try a G14 on that Tom. See where she goes.