Snare cord - learned my lesson

tdcrjeff

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was playing a backyard patio party yesterday and about an hour into what turned out to be a 4 hour gig (Grateful Dead parties go on forever) my snare was starting to lose that snappy snare sound in the middle of a song. I reached under and touched it too see if I could tell what was going on and it went completely loose. Luckily it was probably the shortest song of the night (Beat It On Down the Line) so I finished it off with that "no snare wire" sound. While the rest of the band played a mellow tune that could be done sans drums (Forever Young) I did my emergency repair work. The cord had completely snapped and I although I have some tools and extra items in my stick bag, snare cord was not one of them. I taped it up with gaffers tape and then at set break found some small gauge metal cable in the garage and used that. I'm not a heavy gigging drummer, every month or two only, and this had never happened to me before. Snare cord lives in my stick bag from now on.

hsosdrum

Reaction score
If you're stuck in the middle of nowhere and are no music stores, thin shoelaces will work in a pinch. But JDA's right: Snare cord is a standard drumset toolkit item.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I always bring an extra snare. It's not only insurance; it also gives you a choice of sound, depending on where you're playing. Out of the hundreds of gigs I have played since the early 80s, I can thankfully count on one hand how often I have had a snare fail, but fail they have---and once was a batter head splitting clean in half in front of a crowd of 1200. It was the LAST song of the night(Hey Jude), and there was zero time to change anything. I was able to take the other snare off and replace it with the other one before the drums entered. Phew.

Dan

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
If you bring two snares, you have The Other One for the Deal to go down and keep Truckin' and Playing in the Band, avoid the Cumberland Blues, not lose Estimated profits, and can avoid the Fire in the Mountain set by the Friend of the Devil named Rope Jimmy!

I always take a top head, a snare side, a snare wires and extra rope!

trommel

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The cords on tampons can be used in emergencies. Often sold in in ladies' rooms in clubs, restaurants. Keep a couple with your gear.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
I'll take your word for it. Also, I've heard beverage straws work. I also carry masking tape so I am sure that could work too if you did a few thick layers......

phdamage

Reaction score
i snapped these all the time. i now use webbed nylon, like used in seat belt construction. those things will never snap. i even over tightened once and ended up breaking the slot for the strap instead - that was a first!

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that, I thought the post was about better snare response. I like cord with genric snappies (Taiwan-made), it's really worth it, but I make sure to debur the edges of the holes on a new set of wires. More high-end wires have a smoother edge. What kind of wires did you use when it snapped?

DannyPattersonMusic

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had that happen with a brand new snare drum brand new out of the Ludwig box (Ludwig Legacy Jazz Fest) after 3 gigs ... the cord just snapped. The cord on those Ludwig snare drums look like dental floss ... ended up using Canopus snare cord to replace it.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I always carry snare cord too. Haven't had one break in a while, so that being said I'm ready for it any day now. I keep extra cymbal felts, sleeves, & washers, plus snare chord and a hi hat clutch in a mic bag in my gear bag.

Paracord is supposed to be great too, and inexpensive compared to the "real" snare cord.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
There was a thread a while back where people were praising mini blind cord. I had just tossed a set of blinds but had kept the string (like 30'!) thinking I had a lifetime supply. Well, I'm annoyed to report that the cord gives and goes slack so it won't stay taut like the vintage white Ludwig cord.....just an FYI, it's a short term fix, but it hasn't lasted me 6 months on snares that I don't even play daily. Just being under tension has been an issue. I have used thin nylon rope from H.Depot and that's been good......but it's bright orange!

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
I always bring an extra snare. It's not only insurance; it also gives you a choice of sound, depending on where you're playing. Out of the hundreds of gigs I have played since the early 80s, I can thankfully count on one hand how often I have had a snare fail, but fail they have---and once was a batter head splitting clean in half in front of a crowd of 1200. It was the LAST song of the night(Hey Jude), and there was zero time to change anything. I was able to take the other snare off and replace it with the other one before the drums entered. Phew.

Dan
Dans think alike. Always have two snares.