Snare cord - learned my lesson

James Walker

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Count me in the amen chorus of bringing an extra snare drum.

I've also taken to tying a spare snare cord onto one or two of the tension rods, of any snare drum I have that uses cord, just so I have a replacement right there if something goes wrong - although, I can't remember the last time I had a snare cord break.

Now that I've said that, however...

Reactions: JDA

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Reminds me of a gig I had a few years ago. I decided to bring an Acrolite that I had recently slapped some cheap new Taiwanese wires on. No backup snare, because it's a rowdy gig anyway. What could go wrong? Near the end of the first set, wires kept loosening. At break, I realized the string was fraying badly, so I went to the car to get new string. Problem solved. Second set: midway through, I'm playing a timbale. String broke again! I then realized that it was one of the holes on the cheap wires that was fraying my strings. I ended up playing the entire third set with no wires. Sounded awful to me, but everyone was so buzzed by then, it's doubtful they even knew the difference. Still, lesson learned.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I bring a backup snare drum & tool box with tools/spare parts. I've played gigs & had that happen/heads break/bass drum pedal break/etc. I have backup snare & bass drum heads behind my truck seat.
I always bring two snares to the gig as well. I've had snare cord go one time and just swapped out the drums quickly. I also carry spare cord and tools.

cashmanbashman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If you're stuck in the middle of nowhere and are no music stores, thin shoelaces will work in a pinch. But JDA's right: Snare cord is a standard drumset toolkit item.
Yep I was going to say bend over and cut of some shoelace.

Velociamator

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was on a bicycle road ride this past week and and some stranded folks asked if I had a patch kit, & I had to say no, I ride on sewups. Same thing on the gig, Super Sensitive Ludwig snares don't require any cord. Oh jeez, I'm being a pill, aren't I?

cribbon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
After a few broken cord incidents over the years, I gave up on cord decades ago - all my snare drums (Blacrolite, Pearl) use tape/grosgrain ribbon.