Snare drum heads

sabian guy

Reaction score
I have been doing it because i don't live near a music shop for a while and it actually doesn't sound that bad

MillerMav

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It would just be very dry and not produce a lot of "snare sound" from the wires. It would probably sound like a modern marching drum I would imagine.

Tornado

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a used 5x14 brass snare with 30 strand Puresoud wires on it. It came with a clear G1 on the bottom. It had barely any snare sound. I was surprised at how bad it was. Swapped it out for a hazy and all is good.

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Had a drum delivered to me with a clear diplomat on the snare side. I just assumed it was a "diplomat 2 mm snare side head." Nope. It was a regular 7 mm diplomat batter head. The drum sounded like a cardboard box....complete trash. Imagine how bad a 10mm clear amb/G1 head would sound like?

Finally figured out it wasn't a snare side head which usually runs 2-3 mm. Problem solved. You might be able to get a fair dry sound out of 4-5mm head but it will be muffled/choked considerably.

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Had a drum delivered to me with a clear diplomat on the snare side. I just assumed it was a "diplomat 2 mm snare side head." Nope. It was a regular 7 mm diplomat batter head. The drum sounded like a cardboard box....complete trash. Imagine how bad a 10mm clear amb/G1 head would sound like?

Finally figured out it wasn't a snare side head which usually runs 2-3 mm. Problem solved. You might be able to get a fair dry sound out of 4-5mm head but it will be muffled/choked considerably.

Same experiences here.

By the way, the measurement used to measure head thickness is mil, which is 1/1000th of an inch.
But mm is short for millimeter, which is 1/1000th of a meter (meter is roughly the same as yard). So millimeter/mm is way bigger measurement as mil.

Don't know who invented the name mil but it's name being so similar to millimeter sure is confusing.

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Oops. There goes 30 yrs of power engineering down the drain.....lol. Been out of the biz for 10 yrs....the memories are fading away.

Last edited:

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Strange I never would have even considered it until...

Just bought a snare off of Reverb a month or so ago. Came with a clear AMBASSADOR on the snare side.

I didn't notice at first, and when I hit it it was like "Congratulations, you just bought the worst sounding snare drum in the world."

That was when I saw the Ambassador.

I contacted the seller (a drumshop) who replied that the previous owner LIKED it that way.

They offered $10 toward a new snareside head so not too bad I guess.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I would put the way a snare drum sounds with a batter head on the bottom in the same category as toms with cloth strips under heads and a bass drum filled with laundry - you think it sounds OK until you become knowledgeable and realize that it doesn't.

Tornado

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Strange I never would have even considered it until...

Just bought a snare off of Reverb a month or so ago. Came with a clear AMBASSADOR on the snare side.

I didn't notice at first, and when I hit it it was like "Congratulations, you just bought the worst sounding snare drum in the world."

That was when I saw the Ambassador.

I contacted the seller (a drumshop) who replied that the previous owner LIKED it that way.

They offered $10 toward a new snareside head so not too bad I guess.

This seems to be an epidemic!

supershifter2

DFO Master
Reaction score
i was at band practice. bottom head broke. i had an extra remo clear black dot and put it on the bottom. it sounded great and was on it when i sold the snare a few years later. Pearl 5x14 MX

Joe A

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If you want it to go "KRAK", I guess that's the way to do it. :) . I did it myself as an experiment in my youth and got similar results as listed.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Has anyone put a batter head on the bottom of a snare drum?
No, but I've been presented with snare drums that have had that done to them......usually given to me with the owner asking, "Please fix my snare drum. It sounds like crap.".

Elvis