snare drum lug identification

rock roll

Reaction score
Ludwig bow tie?
I can't see it that well on my tablet. And I can't make it bigger to see better.
But below pic is of Ludwig bow tie.

image.jpeg

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Those snare lugs on the OP's snare are definitely not Ludwig bowties.

OP: What about the hole spacing inside? Or pics of the throw/butt? (I assume it has no badge?)

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I was thinking they were deep shell Pearls from the 80's, like this web pic of a Dennis Chambers model.

pearl-maple-sm-315x210.jpg

musicman64

Reaction score
I did try to find them online...no luck. They are "sort" of like the pearls...but the top of the lugs{ the faces } are rounded...still a bit of a mystery.The drum is a super one..built for a percussion professor...and used in many..many concerts...it has many possible sounds..thanks all

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Shell looks like Keller and not a "pro" finish but still a nice satin finish. Appears to be some sort of concert snare based on the throw/butt. The "badge" is a state silhouette and looks like Arizona. I am guessing "L.M." Drum Company? I am sure not much help......but those lugs sure look like the Tama lugs posted above. I think the general shape is called hourglass. I am guessing whomever built it had parts laying around........maybe call a drum shop or two in AZ and inquire about LMDC.....good luck.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Nope.... I threw them up on my 2 side by side 22"desk top monitors and blew them up full screen each .... I'm sticking with the Pearl or at least a Pearl MIT/C copy. At least by these two photographs they look exactly the same in every way. They are Pearls or Pearl copies for sure.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I cant post them large enough on the forum, but I am very confident they are either Pearls or Pearl copies.....

P1030063 (2).JPG
pearl_maple_snare_drum_7x12_favorite_of_dennis_chambers_late_80s_early_90s (2).jpg

The Tamas are a bit more rounder and more elegant, not quite so angular (They always looked like Rogers to me)

tama_artstar_birdseye_maple_snare_drum_8x14_with_may_mic_2 (2).jpg

Last edited:

kdgrissom

Reaction score
The strainer is a Pearl Philharmonic Multi-Timbre Strainer (SR-300).
The Lugs look alot like the Pearl Standard SD Series from the late '80's
The "X" on the Arizona shaped badge seems to be in the vicinity of Tucson.
Hope this helps!