Snare drum pad recommendation for Mimic Pro

DrumKeys

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi,

After some research (and recommendations from this forum) I recently picked up a Pearl Mimic Pro. So far I'm very happy with it. I've begun digging into it's features and I also picked up some V-expression kits (can't wait to check them out!).

As I mentioned in an earlier thread I'm using Hart Pro (mesh) pads and Roland cymbals. I originally bought the Hart pads because I preferred them to the feel of Roland's offerings. And while I still do love the kick and tom mesh heads, I'm thinking of replacing my Hart Pro snare (13" hammered chrome). Although the infamous "hot spot" issue is not as pronounced on the Hart snare pad (oddly enough I've never noticed the issue on the tom pads) it IS still there - but I also think for snare at least, I may want to move away from mesh.

I'm intrigued by Yamaha's textured silicone pads. I've yet to play on one yet. Hopefully I can do that at a local shop.

So I'm considering:

Yamaha XP120SD
ATV aD-S13 (it is also mesh but supposedly doesn't have a hot spot issue)

Does anyone have experience with the above pads? I just want to be sure either would work with the mimic pro. Any other options out there?

Thanks!

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have both of those pads, and they're both fantastic.

The ATV pads use 3 cones spaced around the perimeter, so there's no hot spot.

DrumKeys

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have both of those pads, and they're both fantastic.

The ATV pads use 3 cones spaced around the perimeter, so there's no hot spot.
That's great to hear! I assume both have a very different feel to them. Do you have a preference for snare use...feel/sensitivity, etc.? I do like the larger (13") pad size but it's not a deal breaker. I just want to be sure that both would play nice with the mimic pro.

Thanks!

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've been using the ATV pad more, but I'm using it with an ATV brain, so I get some features that aren't available with other pads (i.e. cross-stick detection). When I was using a DTX Pro kit, I moved to the Yamaha pad for the same reasons (three-zone support). I'm not sure how well the Mimic Pro supports either of those features.

If I'm looking at the pads in isolation, I like the feel of the head on the Yamaha silicone pads more than mesh, but Yamaha's rim doesn't feel like an acoustic at all. I also greatly prefer the physical look of the ATV pads.

DrumKeys

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've been using the ATV pad more, but I'm using it with an ATV brain, so I get some features that aren't available with other pads (i.e. cross-stick detection). When I was using a DTX Pro kit, I moved to the Yamaha pad for the same reasons (three-zone support). I'm not sure how well the Mimic Pro supports either of those features.

If I'm looking at the pads in isolation, I like the feel of the head on the Yamaha silicone pads more than mesh, but Yamaha's rim doesn't feel like an acoustic at all. I also greatly prefer the physical look of the ATV pads.
Thanks very much!

LauraCai

Reaction score
I’m a big fan of the Yamaha XP120SD. I have yet to use a mesh head, be it single double triple ply, that I like the feel of. The XP120SD feels so good & is so quiet I use it as a practice pad too. I use it with my ATV ad5 & get a cross stick sound, but have to do so via striking a specific area on the outer rim with the stick, not via cross-sticking. Have not used with Mimic Pro but probably works great with it.

DrumKeys

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’m a big fan of the Yamaha XP120SD. I have yet to use a mesh head, be it single double triple ply, that I like the feel of. The XP120SD feels so good & is so quiet I use it as a practice pad too. I use it with my ATV ad5 & get a cross stick sound, but have to do so via striking a specific area on the outer rim with the stick, not via cross-sticking. Have not used with Mimic Pro but probably works great with it.
Thanks. The big problem for me is that I can't seem to find that pad anywhere to try out in person.