Snare Drum Tunung Fundamental Frequencies

kenshireen1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What is the correlation of low/mid/high tuning ranges and their corresponding frequencies or notes
Would G# be considered a medium tuning range for example?

Ptrick

Reaction score
To my ear, a fundamental of E-F# is low, G and G# medium to medium high, and A and above high.

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
What size is the drum?
Standard assumption would be 14" but there are other sizes out there that would affect the tuning range.

kenshireen1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I set my Acrolite to 229 hz. Top lugs. 343 hz. Bottom lugs. Gives you a 3rd octave F. Nice round warm tone.
I start with a pitch that I want. let's say G3. I then get all my lugs to sound the same using tapping and my ear.
Then I hit the middle of the snare to get the fundamental frequency.. I then tinker with the batter head,
The reso is always cranked up high... I do not measure the frequency.

Just for the heck I will tension my acro to the same specs as yours... and see what I get.

REF

Reaction score
Hm. I have always tensioned my snare drums for feel and snare response, never pitch. I don't even think about the pitch unless I hear something quirky and I will check the pitch at each batter head lug and bring them around but, otherwise, it is all about ease of playing and rebound, not pitch. I always end up in a high range regardless of the drum.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
I run singles between my bass, toms, and snare with the throw disengaged. If they sound pleasant together, then it’s in tune. I have no interest in any one drum being at a certain note.

agogobil

Drum Czardine
Reaction score
on a related tangent, how do they sound out front? ... is there a similar effect as with tuning toms, in that higher tones (to our ears behind the kit) sound lower out front?

case in point: I assembled a snare that to me behind the kit sounded like crap. I'd bring it to rehearsals that I recorded and I'm thinking "is this the same snare I was playing?"

Seb77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
On a shallow drum, low tuning might be a bit quieter unmic'ed.
In my expereince you get maximum projection using medium tuning. Snare tension should also be medium , letting the tone come through, a bit like a noise gate.

Tracktuary

Reaction score
On a shallow drum, low tuning might be a bit quieter unmic'ed.
In my expereince you get maximum projection using medium tuning. Snare tension should also be medium , letting the tone come through, a bit like a noise gate.
Are you still D on the batter over G on the snare side for a final [sharp] G?

Latest posts