header.nohb.html

Snare drum wall mounted shelf build

44Ronin

Reaction score
The mission: to create a nice shelving unit for some snare drums!

I am making the horizontals of the shelving unit out of 600mm diameter x 18mm thick red oak laminated panels.

I made some simple jigs to create consistent, repeatable pieces. The shape of the cut panels will incorporate the radius of the circle at the front, but have square cuts on the sides and at the back

The first jig uses a very simple concept: It positions the circular panels in place for cuts using strips of wood. The stripsthen act as not only holders of the circle but also refence fences for the table of a circular saw to ride up against to dock off the sides of the circle. The strips are 12mm thick and placed as doubles so they sit at 24mm high, giving 6mm height above the 18mm panel
Jig1.jpg

To start making the jig I brad nailed on a strip of wood onto the factory edge of a small sheet of mdf
Then I measured marks 600mm off the inside edge of the strip of wood, so a second strip could be placed 600mm parallel to first one.

Once I had done this, I could place the circular panel between the two strips. This let me position the circle back and forth to get the desired amount overhang on the jig for the rear cut. Once happy with the depth of the overhang, I nailed in a strip across the rear

I realised that when I flipped the circular saw around for the lefthand side cut I would have to plunge the saw. because of the cut starting in the corner. Instead of plunging the saw in or dropping it into the cut groove everytime I use the jig, I decided to cutout the back strip so that the circular saw's table could just pass through.

cutout.jpg

I nailed in the offcut from the right hand side, so that there was something to support the cut as it was started.

reference.jpg

After I cut the sides I put my pencil on the underside of the piece and scribed the overhang line. I then removed the piece and placed a snare drum on the piece after the sides were docked to ensure I was still happy with the dimensions and proportions before proceeding with the ripping jig.

sidecutIMG20220522153554.jpg

Once happy with the depth, the next jig was simple. I simply aligned the pencil line for the cut on a sheet of MDF, clamped the panel and then pinned in strips.

JIG.jpg

Last edited:

44Ronin

Reaction score
IMG20220605214503.jpg

Cut the slots on the vertical panels, added some lining boards on the rear and installed some puck lights.

Next thing to do is to disassemble everything then trim the rear lining board down, radius the top corners of the vertical panels, then
ease off or roundover the panel edges, figure out how to cutout some pass thru the wires for the lights and then apply a finish, then reassemble.

After that, will need to figure out the mounting.

IMG20220608072746.jpg

IMG20220608072751.jpg
IMG20220608073248.jpg

44Ronin

Reaction score
I put the puck lights on one side in the upper corners, maybe I should put another in each opposite corner, what do you guys think?

Also thinking how I can light the top shelf drum

SY-ya-nara

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put the puck lights on one side in the upper corners, maybe I should put another in each opposite corner, what do you guys think?

Also thinking how I can light the top shelf drum
Beautiful. And in all your spare time you still have time to drum?

michaelocalypse

Reaction score
Looks good. I took the easy way out and solved my storage/display problem by selling my extra drums. :D

As for the light positioning, I tend to want symmetry, but depending where you put it in the room, having them all on one side would probably be a neat design. Since you only have three, I wouldn't bother alternating, unless you did left, center right so they're all different.

franke

DFO Star
Reaction score
I think the design is great. Is this something that can stand without glue (i.e., capable of being disassembled)?

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just 4 snares ??

Do we need to call for help ?

Give us a signal if needed , maybe turn a snare upside in a pic to alert us …

44Ronin

Reaction score
I think the design is great. Is this something that can stand without glue (i.e., capable of being disassembled)?
Thanks. Yes, it works on interlocking slots and is very strong. It all comes apart with a rubber mallet, except for the lining which screws into the back.

The main thing you will need to overcome is racking. I screwed in the lining boards on the back, which helped brace the vertical panels. The rear lining boards helped a lot with bracing.

Another idea I had was to put quarter round trim on each underside of the slots on the shelves to really lock the vertical panels in place once they're malleted all the way in, but I didn't have any suitable material at hand.
Beautiful. And in all your spare time you still have time to drum?

If I used a wood router instead of a circular saw it would have only taken me about 3hrs tops I spent more time hand chiseling out the slots than anything else. When you come to a hard stop with a circular saw it leaves a bit of waste where the blade can't reach A router would speed up and make that process instantly repeatable

Now that I've got jigs made up it will be much faster. I was making this up as I went, with no real plan.

Just 4 snares ??

Do we need to call for help ?

Give us a signal if needed , maybe turn a snare upside in a pic to alert us …

There's a Brooklyn 4160 on the floor out of shot. This unit is only the first one