Snare Pairs

Butch1970

Reaction score
Have you ever bought a snare only to seek out another like it? Maybe it was such a great drum that you just had to have another or you tried to choose one in the best size for you, only to seek out the other one you passed over? Or maybe it’s just the GAS that affects us all at one time or another?

Supras are drums that I think a lot of us have probably collected in the various sizes. What “pairs” do you have in your stash?

Here’s a pair I just put together: a Sonor 5.75”x14” Reissue and a recently acquired, early 2000’s 6.5”x14” Reissue, both with “Rosewood” veneer:
1640202152634.jpeg

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's part of our drummer mentality; if we- I mean when- we find a great- what ever it is- we want a back up Just in Case....

(because..we hit things...and hit things err.. bust..maybe..could happen..might happen..did happen...never know.. best to be sure better have a back up!!
"we need two of everything: minimum" 'if ya can" (no pun..

Last edited:

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’ve got 5+6.5” in Supras and acrolites. I’m vaguely on the lookout for a 6.5” Sound King to complete the pair and resigned to never being able to get a 6.5” Powertone at a price I can justify but would love one

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve got 5+6.5” in Supras and acrolites. I’m vaguely on the lookout for a 6.5” Sound King to complete the pair and resigned to never being able to get a 6.5” Powertone at a price I can justify but would love one

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I should have specified wood. For steel I have a Slingerland festival in 5” and an 80’s Tama in 6.5” so covered there

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’ve got 5” and 6.5” Acros, and 5” and 6.5” Classic Maples.
The short Acro is great for lower volumes with articulation but a comforting backbeat.

The deeper Acro is great for that 70s rock whomp.

The short Classic Maple is crisp and articulate for a cracking backbeat and utilization of ghost notes.

The tall Classic Maple is similar but with more body.

So not really much overlap at all, and one can rationalize just about anything with different heads and tuning.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I loved my Gretsch Gold Series Cherry Stave enough to buy another one in Maple although I didn't need it! They're both heavy, thick and sound perfect.
I like these stave shells a lot.
GretschMapleStaveFront.JPG

Both are 6.5x14
Here's the maple one^

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have two Gretsch COB Model 4160 snares. One is a round badge set up with 40 strand wires, the other is a stop sign badge set up with 20 strand wires.

I have modern Gretsch USA Custom maple/gum stares in multiple sizes. (4.5", 5", 5.5" and 6.5".)

View attachment 534510
"My what a Nice store you have".. : )

"What time do you open in the morning?" ; )