Snare recommendations for maximum versatility

Swamptrashstompboxes

Reaction score
I have not been around for a while but I have been drumming. I finally got my cymbal combination how I like it, I will post a picture sometime soon. Snagged a few k-customs and such.

BUT I am looking to get some more snare drums. Right now all I have for snares is a:

Pearl Sensitone Elite Steel shell 14x5.5
Mapex 12x7 20 ply higher end snare
Ludwig 14x6 snare that matches my main set.

If I had $600 to spend on 3-4 snares, what would you recommend?

I am looking for maximum versatility, all will be purchased used as i find them for a good price. What would you recommend?

I think one would be an acrol

MustangMick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You have great snares already, what model is the Ludwig snare?
Its not about having the most snare drums but what will cover most sound options.
Maybe 1 more snare really, but for a gigging drummer you're pretty much there already.

Maybe a 14x6.5 or 14x7 Wood drum.

Mick

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'd focus on 1 or 2 snares vs. 3 or 4. An Acrolite is a great choice, which leaves you $400 - $500 for another snare. I'd recommend something maple. I'm fond of Noble & Cooley, and you can find them used around the $400 - $500 price range for a ply maple one.

Lazmo

Be excellent to each other...
Reaction score
Ludwig 402 or an equivalent (aluminium) drum & a good maple snare. With those two you have most bases covered
I agree. I already have a Supra and recently picked up a Tama Soundworks Maple 14x6.5 snare... it can be tuned high or low, and is very versatile. Not very expensive either.

Swamptrashstompboxes

Reaction score
My Ludwig snare is birch IIRC.

I want to cover any base.

Thanks for the recommendations.

I have been thinking about an acrolite,so that is confirmed. Thanks!

What would you recommend for maple snare? I am partial to Ludwig and gretsch, but I will get what does the job best at the best price. I like deep drums so a 14"x7" would be appealing to me.

Is there a 13x3.5 piccolo snare that you would recommend? I had a cheap one and HATED it. What do you prefer with a piccolo, wood or metal? I had a steel one and it was too cheap and just sucked. I would love to find a brass or maple one, thoughts?

MonkeyGrass

Keystone Addict
Reaction score
My Ludwig snare is birch IIRC.

I want to cover any base.

Thanks for the recommendations.

I have been thinking about an acrolite,so that is confirmed. Thanks!

What would you recommend for maple snare? I am partial to Ludwig and gretsch, but I will get what does the job best at the best price. I like deep drums so a 14"x7" would be appealing to me.

Is there a 13x3.5 piccolo snare that you would recommend? I had a cheap one and HATED it. What do you prefer with a piccolo, wood or metal? I had a steel one and it was too cheap and just sucked. I would love to find a brass or maple one, thoughts?
I'd go with an $80 Acrolite off C-list or eBay first.

Then get a nice 402, preferably hammered - and you'll ask yourself "what wood snare would I possible need?"

Or do it right and spend it all on a 6.5x14 brass seamless :D

drummertom

Staff member
Reaction score

Swamptrashstompboxes

Reaction score
I'd go with an $80 Acrolite off C-list or eBay first.

Then get a nice 402, preferably hammered - and you'll ask yourself "what wood snare would I possible need?"

Or do it right and spend it all on a 6.5x14 brass seamless :D
The acrolite price is much more appealing than the INDe.

MonkeyGrass

Keystone Addict
Reaction score
INDe drums are great, but they are also fairly high-end custom boutique drums.

They get a lot of love here for very valid reasons, but they are not the "end-all-be-all" of drums. They do what they do, and very well.. but since your stated objective here is versatility - I'd stick to Acro/Supra as they are quite literally - the most versatile snare drums on the planet, and sound phenomenal in any situation. And they are far more affordable and readily available anywhere.

SpinaDude

Reaction score
I just saw this Tama walnut/steel hybrid snare at Alto music on Monday. It sounded great...nice crack, strong projection and a woody bark. I only played with it for a minute or so, but it definitely left an impression. I'm sorry I can't find a YouTube video of it. It's not even on the Tama site yet. Of all the snares I've heard in recent months, that, the Mapex Black Panther Cherry Bomb, the DW knurled black nickel over steel, and the Starphonic Copper (which I bought) have made the biggest impressions on me.

Tama hybrid snare (Ronald Bruner, Jr.) <= LINK

cwdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
IMHO the most bang for the buck plus versatility would be a 60's or early 70's Ludwig Acro or Supra. All good advice here. Let us know what you decide.
Coy

shuffle

DFO Master
Reaction score
As has been said,an Acro or Supra are great snares that sit well with any kit,it never over powers the kit.
A 6.5 maple Luddy would be perfect as well.
Both are workhorses

Latest posts