Snare recommendations for maximum versatility

El Larry

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Also a Pearl Sensitone Aluminum snare would work, and be happy next to the steel Sensitone you have.

Swamptrashstompboxes

Reaction score
I think I will look for an acrolite. It seems semi-unaminous. Good price point.

I could not live with a 14x8" I don't think. That's a little physically larger than I care for, and it's hard to find stands that are low profile enough to have an 8" deep drum and sit right in zone where I like my snares.

I will look for a brass and or aluminum Sensitone, i just talked to a buddy who also recommended those.

Are there other notable maple snares out there for a good price?

I would love a 13x7 maple.

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
I have a maple TRS Piccolo snare for sale (check the For Sale section). Yeah, it’s a piccolo, but it is quite versatile and I use it for everything from jazz to church to rock. Why am I selling? I’ve got 2 of them.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I have not been around for a while but I have been drumming. I finally got my cymbal combination how I like it, I will post a picture sometime soon. Snagged a few k-customs and such.

BUT I am looking to get some more snare drums. Right now all I have for snares is a:

Pearl Sensitone Elite Steel shell 14x5.5
Mapex 12x7 20 ply higher end snare
Ludwig 14x6 snare that matches my main set.

If I had $600 to spend on 3-4 snares, what would you recommend?

I am looking for maximum versatility, all will be purchased used as i find them for a good price. What would you recommend?

I think one would be an acrol
Get the Acro, but get the 5" version....then get the Jazz Fest.
Sell off everything else.
At that point, you'll have pretty much covered the gamut.
One is basically is the wood/metal version of the the other one.
It'll be like having both sides of the coin.
You can't limit yourself to one, because you'll be missing out on the other, regardless of how "versatile" you think that one is.
Get both. Have it all. It's your right as a drummer. -b

Elvis

Swamptrashstompboxes

Reaction score
i snagged a chad smith signature pearl for $70. slightly off topic, but I dig it. It was really dirty, so i spent an hour cleaning and buffing and lubing the lugs and it not only looks good now, but sounds good.

The heads were in decent shape and the snares were brand new, so i figured that i couldn't lose on that.

what is a good price for an acro? i see a ton of variation in price.

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My Ludwig snare is birch IIRC.

I want to cover any base.

Thanks for the recommendations.

I have been thinking about an acrolite,so that is confirmed. Thanks!

What would you recommend for maple snare? I am partial to Ludwig and gretsch, but I will get what does the job best at the best price. I like deep drums so a 14"x7" would be appealing to me.

Is there a 13x3.5 piccolo snare that you would recommend? I had a cheap one and HATED it. What do you prefer with a piccolo, wood or metal? I had a steel one and it was too cheap and just sucked. I would love to find a brass or maple one, thoughts?
For piccolos I would go brass or steel in a 14". I love 13" snares but have found I need them to be at least 6" deep or they are too thin sounding.

shiek_yerbouti

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Aluminum. Just one good one that you really like and you should not even want to play anything else after that.

... OK.... Maybe a Brass or Bronze. Anymore and you just collecting "stuff".

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think I will look for an acrolite. It seems semi-unaminous. Good price point.

I could not live with a 14x8" I don't think. That's a little physically larger than I care for, and it's hard to find stands that are low profile enough to have an 8" deep drum and sit right in zone where I like my snares.

I will look for a brass and or aluminum Sensitone, i just talked to a buddy who also recommended those.

Are there other notable maple snares out there for a good price?

I would love a 13x7 maple.
So to follow up my previous reply. Look for a used Yamaha Steve Jordan Maple 13x 6.5. I love this snare, it's my absolute favorite snare drum that I've owned.

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Be sure to check out used ludwig or slingerland 6.5x14. Of course if you come across a radio king or leedy drum that’s a prize.

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
what is a good price for an acro? i see a ton of variation in price.
I snagged one for $50 with the case about a month ago, there are a few on facebook marketplace near me for $100 each.

Keep an eye out and you'll be able to get an incredible deal on one. I really have had a lot of luck with Facebook Marketplace recently. It's how Craigslist used to be with deals.

spaeth

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just throw in a slightly different idea. I haven't touched my other snares since I picked up a 6.5x14 Jenkins Martin in spun fiberglass. It has some of the clarity of metal with warmth of wood. I an drastically alter the sound of the drum by just playing with the snare tension using the Dunnett 3 position throw off. I have a 67 Acrolite and an early 70's 6.5x14 Super Sensitive as well as a hammered brass Premier snare. I really like them all but the JM snare really does it all for me. If I was going to have just one that would be the one.

Latest posts