Snare Recommendations???

Wesley Seeley

Reaction score
I'm looking at purchasing a new snare and I'm looking for a brass, steel, or copper snare.

I play a lot of post-hardcore, alternative metal, metalcore, rock and even remix some songs. I'm looking for a 6.5" or 7" shell depth and looking for something under $300 preferably.

I've recently been looking at the DW Design Series Black Nickel over Brass snare, Tama big black steel snare, the Tama soundworks, Pearl modern utility, and Ludwig Supralite. Not opposed to other ideas, but I've heard a lot of good things about these snares that are under $300.

Any other suggestions for me?

Tornado

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'd pick the Pearl Sensitone all day over the modern utility.

FunkyCrime

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Personally would go brass for the music you play

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Personally would go brass for the music you play
I agree. Any one of the snares built on the Worldmax brass "black beauty" clone would sound good and be loud enough and fit your budget.

Jeff

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Here goes the brand recommendations!!! LOL!!

audiochurch

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Supralite or Black Magic or Pearl Sensitone. With the saved money, buy a coated double ply head.

phoster

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Buy a used snare and your options might expand....

Black Label

Reaction score
I would go brass all the way. I've never played a copper snare being softer than brass, assume that it will be possibly warmer with less cut. However between steel and brass I always choose brass. It has some warmth and some character which I miss in steel snares - not to mention that brass ring - I just love it. I never muffle my brass snares and use only Remo Coated Ambassadors on them. Their natural tone is just great. If you can, go for a thicker shell (I think you find them varying between 1.2 - 1.5 mm or even 3mm for Bell Brass which is apparently bronze not brass) - the thicker shell gives it some more cut and tripple flanged hoops gives it that open ringy tone. Fit die casts if you want to dry it out a bit.

Wesley Seeley

Reaction score
What do you guys think about the TAMA S.L.P. Black Brass Snare Drum 14 x 6.5 in?? I know they sell for like $480 brand new but there is a guy selling one for $250 used. Should I jump on it?

Tornado

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think about the TAMA S.L.P. Black Brass Snare Drum 14 x 6.5 in?? I know they sell for like $480 brand new but there is a guy selling one for $250 used. Should I jump on it?
Yep. I've been impressed with the Tama SLP series snare drums I've tried.

spazapproved

Reaction score
the Tama G-Maple is a 13x7 and it's one of THE BEST SNARES out there.
I have over 50 snare drums in my collections and I can not talk highly enough about that one.
Best bang for the buck
I know it's not metal like you're asking but you wouldn't be disappointed.
If you really want metal look into the Pork Pie 13x7 Brass Patina!

BRIAN

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
hefty is right, Chris has a great price on his snare..............he also put pure sound wires on it