Snare Reso Head too tight...

marc3k

Reaction score
I was changing the throw-off on my Supraphonic to the P88 and when I removed the snare wires, I noticed slight dents and "imprints" in the resonance head. I always thought that the reso should be as tight as possible - looks like it was too tight in my case!
Now I have not tightened it that much and I think it sounds much better!
Have you noticed dents in the reso head because of the snare wires?

IMG_1944.JPG

ludwigjim

Reaction score
Ludwig snares sound better with a no/low collar ludwig snare side head. Still available and Remo now has one as well.

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ludwig snares sound better with a no/low collar ludwig snare side head. Still available and Remo now has one as well.
I've heard this said before and wonder how such a collar could make it "sound better".

ludwigjim

Reaction score
I've heard this said before and wonder how such a collar could make it "sound better".
Snare wires closer and flatter on head. I used many different snare side heads over the past 55 + years and it's what I found always seemed to work.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If you have a reference pitch (maybe it works with tension umbers as well), and you notice the head loses pitch after a week or so, I'd say it was too tight.
Example: With a 3mil 14" snare side head at "g", it stays there, which means it's not overstretched. Pulled up to an "a", it needs constant retightening, and once you change the head, you'll notice the collar has gottn deeper. IMO that's too tight.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
I was changing the throw-off on my Supraphonic to the P88 and when I removed the snare wires, I noticed slight dents and "imprints" in the resonance head. I always thought that the reso should be as tight as possible - looks like it was too tight in my case!
Now I have not tightened it that much and I think it sounds much better!
Have you noticed dents in the reso head because of the snare wires?
I've watched numerous videos and heard many opinions of people stating to "crank the reso". I call BS on that! No need for that and it won't make it sound better. I tighten mine as tight as I tighten my toms and it sounds great. Cranking it just creates unnecessary stress in my opinion. Now about the dents and imprints: It's probably not because of a tight reso. Sounds to me like the snares are being tightened down too much with the throwoff screw. I've never had imprints on any snare reso head. I'm sure you know what you are doing but either way I'll write my method:
I install the head to finger tight, then I tighten the rods till no wrinkles, then I tune them further tightening to my liking of sound. And the actual snares I adjust by opening the throwoff and turning the screw and closing the throwoff. I repeat that tightening in increments until I reach the point that the snares have seated snug. That's all the snare needs!
BTW: As soon as I'm done playing, I open the throws on my snares and leave them open while they are not being played!
LRod

marc3k

Reaction score
alright, thank you all for your replies and advice!

I always open the throw-off when I'm done playing. However, I also have to say I had issues with the P83 throw-off after a while. I guess I just wasn't too careful and tried everything.
I don't tune to a certain note or frequency - it's just by ear. But I did crank it up in the past after hearing from different sources it should be cranked.. :)

I'm still using this reso head and I don't think this affects the sound in any way (at least not to my ears :)) I was always of the opinion that I never have to replace reso heads, that's why I was kind of surprised to find these marks...

Rick

Reaction score
I think it depends on what kind of sound you are going for. I tighten my snare side head pretty tight. It's a typical 3 mil snare side head and the lugs are at 389hz via Tunebot and making sure the height of the rim is consistent around the drum. I like a lot of articulation and tone on my snare drum. I also like a good non-choked snare sound. It's somewhat of a compromise to achieve the overall sound you want. I don't think there is any one right answer.

Rick

Reaction score
Seb77 said:
Yeah, that would be similar to tuning to a "g", which would be 392Hz, "a" being 440Hz.
That makes sense. Interestingly, the fundamental pitch of the drum ends up being a G#. That's with the batter head (10 mil single ply coated) lugs at 315Hz. This is a 14X6 Tama Starphonic Bubinga snare.

hsosdrum

Reaction score
Those marks are always on a used snare side head, regardless of tension.
Yep, that's what I've found over the past 56 or so years. Keep using that reso head as long as the drum still sounds good and plays well. If the drum starts to sound funky or play funky replace the head. No biggie.