Snare Resonant Thickness and Snare Buzz

Jasondog3

Reaction score
I have a 14 x 8" snare drum. It's 30 plies of birch. Beefy drum. The batter head is Coated Remo Powerstroke X with Dot. Resonant is Remo Emperor Snare Side (that is their thickest snare resonant head, one ply at 5mm thickness).

I'm using the PureSound Equalizer snare wires. I don't care about the toms causing sympathetic snare buzz. My issue is just when i play the snare drum alone. When I hit it, the snares buzz a little bit after I hit it, in an annoying way. Even if I tighten up the snares, the buzz is there. It's like "crack, bzzzzzz"

Will a thinner snare resonant head reduce this buzz?

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
It could help--thicker heads have more deflection in their vibration, so a thick reso head will hit the wires more. You can also try different tuning of the reso head, and tricks like detuning the four lugs at the ends of the wires by a half turn or so. Also try different thickness of cord or ribbon for the wires.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Sounds like a snare side tuning issue to me. I've got one that I can't tune for the life of me.

mkelley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Snares should buzz. You could have them too tight to where they’re buckling. I would also look at going to a thinner snare side like an ambassador or Evans g series.

Ron_M

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What brand snare drum? Beds look good? Maybe the Puresound endplate geometry don't work with your type of bed. With the snares are under tension, look at them from the side to see if they're laying flat on the snare-side head.

Jasondog3

Reaction score
What brand snare drum? Beds look good? Maybe the Puresound endplate geometry don't work with your type of bed. With the snares are under tension, look at them from the side to see if they're laying flat on the snare-side head.
It's the Premier HR Series snare drum from their British Collection. Made by the same bloke who works for British Drum Company.

Ron_M

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It's the Premier HR Series snare drum from their British Collection. Made by the same bloke who works for British Drum Company.
OK, so assuming the beds are in good order, I'll ask again; are the snares making good contact with the snare-side head? Get your head down there and have a look. Do the snares lift up a bit near the endplates, or are they making poor contact toward the center?

Last edited: