Snare sound

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some pics for you. First one shows the snare side of the drum with the cardboard inside the rim. There is a 1/8 to 1/4 gap all around. 2nd pic shows the cardboard sitting in the snare stand. 3rd pic shows snare drum in place with the cardboard circle.
The cardboard floats freely so the snare wires can 'breathe'. You can experiment with any material you want.
Thanks for sharing the pictures. Very interesting approach. I think I'll try it tomorrow using thin cardboard from a drumhead box. I already have it in my head to try a few different shapes, like a piece running the length of the snare wires, rounded before it meets the hoop on either end, and 1-3 inches wider than the wires, and I'll definitely try the circle approach. Thanks again.

KarnaKarma

Reaction score
Some pics for you. First one shows the snare side of the drum with the cardboard inside the rim. There is a 1/8 to 1/4 gap all around. 2nd pic shows the cardboard sitting in the snare stand. 3rd pic shows snare drum in place with the cardboard circle.
The cardboard floats freely so the snare wires can 'breathe'. You can experiment with any material you want.
I've used this mechanism like on the 2nd & 3rd picture all the time but with old drumheads. my favorite is using old, bubbly 'vintage' heads like a Fiberskyn or an Evans Calftone (my favorite). It gives me fatter, rounder, and quieter sound overall, perfect for small venue gigs.

I'll try cardboard next. Cheers!

bassanddrum84

Reaction score
I just buy the window gels and stock up from Walmart and dollar store. Get them home and cut them to different sizes. Keep them in a big medicine bottle in my stick bag. Works just like moon cells or dots or whatever the latest gimmick company is. At a 1$ per sheet

Beesting

Reaction score
I've used this mechanism like on the 2nd & 3rd picture all the time but with old drumheads. my favorite is using old, bubbly 'vintage' heads like a Fiberskyn or an Evans Calftone (my favorite). It gives me fatter, rounder, and quieter sound overall, perfect for small venue gigs.

I'll try cardboard next. Cheers!
Good idea using old heads.

Stickclick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I cut out a cardboard ring from a beer case. Laid it on top. Easy to remove, modify. I use it most of the time, except when using brushes.