Snare Stand 101

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm a fan of the Omni position ball and socket multi adjustment type stands. Have used the Pearl version for awhile but find it tight, clumsy and awkward to adjust from the drivers seat.
Was checking out this Taye , looks like a possible contender, clean and simple ,adjustments look comfortable and easy to reach. Anyone used it? Or What's your brand/type preference? s-l500.jpg

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Gibraltar 9706. It's Gibraltar's top of the line pro snare stand. Works very well and is built like a tank!
They also have the 9707UA-TP, it has an aluminum base which makes the whole stand weigh less:
9706.jpg

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm pretty much stuck on the Pearls. I used to buy both the lightweight ones and the the heavy duty omni ones and swap out the parts, so the omni top was on a single braced base. Best of both worlds.

If I were to buy new it would be the new Yamaha crosstown or the heavy duty Tama most likely..

That Gibralter base looks super clunky. I'd never spend my money on that. But that's me.

Last edited:

zenghost

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yamaha Crosstown (for gig bag) or Yamaha 700 series - no other contenders for me.

I don't need or desire the capability to adjust the snare position aside from height and a single plane of angle. I've owned versions using the omni--ball type adjustment and quickly found them frustrating to adjust and significantly harder to replicate those adjustments when needed.

Ptrick

Reaction score
Gibraltar 9706. It's Gibraltar's top of the line pro snare stand. Works very well and is built like a tank!
They also have the 9707UA-TP, it has an aluminum base which makes the whole stand weigh less:
View attachment 395047
+1 All I use nowadays.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of the Gibraltar 8713UA. Same omni-tilting basket as posted above, but with the lightweight single braced base. Very sturdy, and makes for a great tom stand, as well. There's something about the way these baskets are designed that allow toms to resonate fully; no choking whatsoever. The only other modern stand I've come across that allows full resonance is the DW Ultralight, but sturdiness takes a back seat with those.

8713UA.jpg

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm pretty much stuck on the Pearls. I used to buy both the lightweight ones and the the heavy duty omni ones and swap out the parts, so the omni top was on a single braced base. Best of both worlds.

If I were to buy new it would be the new Yamaha crosstown or the heavy duty Tama most likely..

That Gibralter base looks super clunky. I'd never spend my money on that. But that's me.
Nothing clunky about it. You gotta see it and try it. It's money very well spent. It's very functional and it doesn't budge no matter what. The fact that Gibraltar strictly makes hardware, makes some of their stuff incomparable with anything else. My whole kit is Ludwig but zero of my hardware is Ludwig. I've tried it and it doesn't compare. It's 100% Gibraltar minus my throne. And Ludwig hardware is supposed to be great. But I understand the brand preference thing as well for some.

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
@ $99 Gibraltars in the lead by half a horse!
I've looked at the dw as the rest of my hardware is but not to fond of the $169 tag. It looks nice as does all there hardware but is probably overkill.
I like the separation between the basket knob and the ball tightener on the Gibralter. Too tight and close together on the Tama and Pearl that's why I'm steering away.

41lA+2oPdoL.jpg61Z2wvVciTL._SL1500_.jpg

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
@ $99 Gibraltars in the lead by half a horse!
I've looked at the dw as the rest of my hardware is but not to fond of the $169 tag. It looks nice as does all there hardware but is probably overkill.
I like the separation between the basket knob and the ball tightener on the Gibralter. Too tight and close together on the Tama and Pearl that's why I'm steering away.

View attachment 395058View attachment 395059
At the end of the day, they all do the same thing. But it's those little adjustment points that make a huge difference in how functional the product is. At least to me, $99 is a bargain for something that is the flagship product in somebodies lineup. And as I stated before, Gibraltar only makes hardware so they know what they are doing. They have designers that only do hardware all day. It's a win win! I have 7 boom stands, 1 standard ride stand, a hi hat stand, the snare stand, 2 cymbal stand claws, 2 tom holders and various other mounts, arms etc.., and they are all Gibraltar. You just can't go wrong with most of their stuff. My drop clutch is DW, that's one item that was superior over Gibraltar's so their is always something that might not be 100% in the lineup. But overall they make fantastic stuff. BTW, I just now discovered that I have the 9706UA-TP. The lighter one with the aluminum base. I just saw the picture from the links that I posted and noticed that it's the same as mine, LOL!

Last edited:

Johnny K

Reaction score
If all the other Gretsch G5 hardward I've bought is any indcation of quality and functionality (The DW connection, i guess), this is my next snare stand. I have all G5 stuff except for the kick pedal and the snare stand. I kinda like my DW3000 Pedal, so im not likey to get the G5 pedal unless i really want a homogeneous set up.

polycrescendo

Reaction score
I used to use the old 90's Pearl stand with the rotatable spiked feet and full swivel basket. It never failed but after getting a deeper snare I was forced to find a solid low stand that pivots in all directions. This time I went for the Ludwig Atlas Pro II stand. It's very beefy and solid feeling. I love that you can set the basket width as well.
ludwig atlas.PNG

Last edited:

ThomFloor

Reaction score
Must be some pretty heavy hardware bags on this thread.
Unless you're on a world tour, other than the Taye and Pearl, a lot of these look over-engineered to me.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Must be some pretty heavy hardware bags on this thread.
Unless you're on a world tour, other than the Taye and Pearl, a lot of these look over-engineered to me.
I personally like quality, over engineered stuff vs something that can possibly be underengineered. And $99 bucks for the Gibraltar that I have doesn't seem like a huge sacrifice for something that's very high quality.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I like the ones with the omni-ball, too. And, while I love Gibraltar hardware, I've never had a cozy experience with their version of the ball, seen in the pics above. It always felt clunky and stiff to me. Maybe it's been improved, I don't know.

For the last twenty years I've been using a super-heavy, dbl braced, ball-tilted Sound Percussion snare stand that I've never seen offered again. I love it. As heavy as it is, it doesn't compare in weight to the 9000 series DW stand I bought new for a song. And I've used it once. It is heavy enough to support a tractor - and ridiculously over-built. No go.

GeeDeeEmm

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
I hear ya Gee on the dw weight factor ‘ I tote 3 9000 boom stands = just under 40lbs. You just can’t beat it for over engineered quality the show chrome finish and sticker shock!

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
I used to used the old 90's Pearl stand with the rotatable spiked feet and full swivel basket. It never failed but after getting a deeper snare I was forced to find a solid low stand that pivots in all directions. This time I went for the Ludwig Atlas Pro II stand. It's very beefy and solid feeling. I love that you can set the basket width as well.
View attachment 395062
Interesting tips on the basket, I like the lock in the triple flange hoop design . Is that an Omni swivel type rig?

Latest posts