Snare Stand 101

polycrescendo

Reaction score
Yes this one swivels like a ball in all directions. I am really impressed with the overall build quality on this Atlas Pro stand, everything feels robust and strong.

RickPlaysDrums

Reaction score
@ $99 Gibraltars in the lead by half a horse!
I've looked at the dw as the rest of my hardware is but not to fond of the $169 tag. It looks nice as does all there hardware but is probably overkill.
I like the separation between the basket knob and the ball tightener on the Gibralter. Too tight and close together on the Tama and Pearl that's why I'm steering away.

View attachment 395058View attachment 395059
I believe I have the same model Pearl. I'll have to go look. If that's the one; I think it's a good stand.

Plus, if I remember correctly, it has a detachable basket -- it's either the Pearl or my Cannon. One of the two. (Or both?) I don't remember.

I have so much stuff that I don't know what I have!. I'm old and, though it's tough, it's time to start culling the herd.

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yamaha ss950 is exactly what you are looking for!View attachment 395143
I do like the yami and have contemplated that one but i’m fond of the offset basket as it allows me to shift the bass/legs over towards the hi hat and away from the pedal area. I need room for my big azz foot which I stomp on the pedal a little sideways , I know, strange quirks!

RickPlaysDrums

Reaction score
Must be some pretty heavy hardware bags on this thread.
Unless you're on a world tour, other than the Taye and Pearl, a lot of these look over-engineered to me.
Initially, reading this thread, I had the same thought. For instance, how hard are you gonna smack a snare drum that you need spiked feet on a stand?

Also, for snare positioning, are all those mechanisms really necessary?

When I gig I just bring a simple, cheap (read: entry level) snare stand. They're light-weight too!

That doesn't mean I don't have higher-end stuff, but why? to be known as some kind of status symbol?

Hey, look what I got!

Big deal. In hindsight, I spent a ton of money on premium stuff that I didn't really need.

Last edited:

RickPlaysDrums

Reaction score
I do like the yami and have contemplated that one but i’m fond of the offset basket as it allows me to shift the bass/legs over towards the hi hat and away from the pedal area. I need room for my big azz foot which I stomp on the pedal a little sideways , I know, strange quirks!
The offset basket is very nice and very functional from a positioning standpoint.

piccupstix

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm probably not going to be much help here but I used to use the omni--ball type adjustment snare stand because I loved the idea of super fine adjustments. I can't remember which brand it was (certainly not a cheapie) and it was a long time ago. After setting the snare where I liked it all was fine but after a long time I wanted a slightly different tilt angle. The problem I had was that the ball developed an indentation at the point I always used before and my new preferred angle was very close to it. The stand would "default" to my older setting because of that dent and it drove me crazy. Because of that I stopped using that design. Just wanted to bring this up as it could be something to consider. They're probably made better these days.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
These days I won't even look at a stand that doesn't have a snare basket with adjustable length arms. I've got a couple of the top line Pearl stands that have worked real well for my needs, a discontinued S-2000 and its replacement the S-1030. They're essentially the same with a couple of exceptions, the S-1030 has a different butterfly nut (metal instead high impact plastic) and the feet are slightly larger but minus the spikes, which are now optional (they were supplied on the S-2000). The basket arms on the S1030 (and the S-2000) stand adjusts from 10"-16" for different size drums, and thus no wacky angles or tips that contact the side of the shell and that makes me real happy!

Also, I don't find it too crowded between the basket adjust and the Gyro-Lock, plus you could always just rotate the adjuster slightly if you really needed additional hand room.

I like the separation between the basket knob and the ball tightener on the Gibralter.
Too tight and close together on the Tama and Pearl that's why I'm steering away.

View attachment 395058

MillerMav

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Pearl H150S is my favorite snare stand right now. Great gear less tilter and switchable base (tripod and flat) plus its light and sturdy! I dig them, especially since they are only $59!

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
These days I won't even look at a stand that doesn't have a snare basket with adjustable length arms. I've got a couple of the top line Pearl stands that have worked real well for my needs, a discontinued S-2000 and its replacement the S-1030. They're essentially the same with a couple of exceptions, the S-1030 has a different butterfly nut (metal instead high impact plastic) and the feet are slightly larger but minus the spikes, which are now optional (they were supplied on the S-2000). The basket arms on the S1030 (and the S-2000) stand adjusts from 10"-16" for different size drums, and thus no wacky angles or tips that contact the side of the shell and that makes me real happy!

Also, I don't find it too crowded between the basket adjust and the Gyro-Lock, plus you could always just rotate the adjuster slightly if you really needed additional hand room.
I like the iso tips on the basket but can’t get on with the tightening nuts all jammed together and difficult to manipulate from the drivers seat, for me anyways and I have big old hands. I have a couple pearls been gigging them for years actually wore the gyro out, started slipping so I drilled a hole and put in a set screw now it’s going nowhere, it’s ok for around the house, leave it set up and drop a snare on it for practice. Leaning towards that Gibraltar !

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
Still up in the air. Was hoping for a review on the Taye, the simple and clean design appeals to me. The Gibralter and the Taye weigh in around 8 lbs so that's not a deciding factor. Both around the same money too. Side by side the Gibralter makes the Taye look light duty

s-l500.jpg
s-l500.jpg

shiek_yerbouti

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The way that arm/ball on theTaye is positioned looks like something to me that inherently wants to slip. I have never tried one though.

Ptrick

Reaction score
The way that arm/ball on theTaye is positioned looks like something to me that inherently wants to slip. I have never tried one though.
Exactly my thoughts. Looks like the amount of torque to keep it there would work on grooves to the ball as well.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don't know man, that Taye doesn't look like something comparable to the Gibraltar. I think if you don't care about weight you can't really go wrong with the Gibraltar because of it's durability.

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score

Another plus for a stand with adjustable length arms is when it's used to hold a 12" or smaller tom. Regular snare baskets have the arms at quite an angle when adjusted that small. The adjustable arms allow the basket to remain relatively flat and clean looking. That said, a ball socket also is a huge plus for mounting a tom.

Latest posts