Snare Stand 101

brianb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I own 3 of the Gibraltar stands you're asking about. They've worked fantastic for me for several years and lots of gigs. Solid as a rock and no issues.

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’m glad we’ve had this discussion, so far nobody has tried out or reviewed the Taye and I’m not going to be the Guinea Pig lol.

As of right now I’m sold on the Gibraltar looks and sounds like the best of the lot for my wants and needs. Solid piece of hardware , nice engineering.
100 dolla!

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I dislike double-braced hardware and use an older (2008 ) Ludwig 800 series snare stand with my Gretsch set, somewhat visible in the photo, but I am interested in the new Rogers stand when they finally hit the market. I wish I had purchased the Ludwig 600 series single braced hardware rather than the 800 series, but no way to find them anymore. they were lighter.
RogersSnareStand.jpg
Gretsch12.jpg

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’m glad we’ve had this discussion, so far nobody has tried out or reviewed the Taye and I’m not going to be the Guinea Pig lol.

As of right now I’m sold on the Gibraltar looks and sounds like the best of the lot for my wants and needs. Solid piece of hardware , nice engineering.
100 dolla!
So did you buy a stand yet?

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I use the Gibraltar flat based stand to match my cymbal stands. It has the toothed tilter as I hate the omni-ball type of stands. I've never been one for all the bells and whistles. I just want a solid stand that's easy/quick to adjust, lightweight, and inexpensive. This is it.

Barden

Reaction score
Just from a geometry point of view, the universal ball joint systems don't achieve positions unreachable by a regular tilting stand as long as the tilt system is not discrete/toothed. The Ball system can adjust tilt in both x and y directions at the same time, but the end result is the same as one tilt and a rotation. I use this all the time with a simple yamaha stand. There is no worry of a ball developing a detent or other such complicated joint deterioration.

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
The Omni pivot is actually a 4 way clamp system, the tightening handle/bolt actually pulls/clamps the spheres together.In other words the screw does not tighten into the ball.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I did lol. Was waiting for my Amazon Visa points to accumulate so I could get it free which I did. Do we Lv Amazon ,
sure we do.
View attachment 400145
This stand is perfect , just like ya’ll said it was. Thx for that.
My 402 is very
content, never sounded better.
Awesome! That thing's the best, enjoy it!
I too get free stuff all the time. I love points!

dsop

Reaction score
If your snare has ten lugs, you probably don't want evenly spaced tripod arms. Tama makes their snare stand with offset arms so they don't interfere with lugs/strainers.

Asymmetrically spaced basket arms allow an 8 or 10 lug drum to be held without interference with its strainer, butt or lugs. Since the basket rotates independently from the stand, you can place the strainer in any position needed.

stevil

Reaction score
If your snare has ten lugs, you probably don't want evenly spaced tripod arms. Tama makes their snare stand with offset arms so they don't interfere with lugs/strainers.

This problem has bugged me for some time with my 10-lug snare. I might need to check out a Tama stand... Their STAR hardware looks amazing, but is probably overkill...

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I ordered the Rogers snare stand yesterday. Pictures when it arrives. I ordered two cymbal stands and the throne, but only the snare stand and one cymbal stand are being sent. They are out of Rogers hardware right now and not promising delivery until October of the throne and other cymbal stand.

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I ordered the Rogers snare stand yesterday. Pictures when it arrives. I ordered two cymbal stands and the throne, but only the snare stand and one cymbal stand are being sent. They are out of Rogers hardware right now and not promising delivery until October of the throne and other cymbal stand.

The Rogers stuff is on the left, Ludwig 800 series(the heaviest single braced stands ca. 2008. There is a substantial difference. The Rogers hardware is well made, light weight, but sturdy, and my only complaints are about the throne. The upholstery finish work on the bottom is truly second rate. The staples are too far apart, causing the fabric to wrinkle and possibly catch on something while in the hardware case. The seat is thin, but the foam is dense and fairly comfortable. I tried to use my Gretsch seat, but the spindle sizes were different. Overall satisfaction after playing one gig.B+
32AF8383-6044-4A89-BF47-C9186D921C52.jpeg
9F5180AE-9874-470A-8578-C402467AA7A5.jpeg
32AF8383-6044-4A89-BF47-C9186D921C52.jpeg

Last edited:

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The Rogers stuff is on the left, Ludwig 800 series(the heaviest single braced stands ca. 2008). There is a substantial difference. The Rogers hardware is well made, light weight, but sturdy, and my only complaints are about the throne. The upholstery finish work on the bottom is truly second rate. The staples are too far apart, causing the fabric to wrinkle and possibly catch on something while in the hardware case. The seat is thin, but the foam is dense and fairly comfortable. I tried to use my Gretsch seat, but the spindle sizes were different. Overall satisfaction after playing one gig.B+
View attachment 401816View attachment 401815View attachment 401816
Pretty hardware for sure. I like it! Are those North American made or Asian? Not that it matters since the Asian stuff now is great, I'm just curious.

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’m pretty much very satisfied w the Gibraltar Omni tilt offset basket stand. It has all the features I was looking for and most of all positioning of the stand from seated at the throne position is very user friendly , plenty of room for my fat ham fisted hands and sausage fingers to turn adjustments freely without getting pinched or fumbling around.
0517ACA7-EF08-44C6-93C2-323C24030BA5.jpeg

Latest posts