Snare Stand Recommendation - UPDATE!

Matched Gripper

Reaction score
I’m looking to mount my 9x13 tom on a snare stand that adjusts high enough for the basket to clear a 22 inch bass drum. I love my Pearl snare stand, but it doesn’t adjust high enough and I don’t think any of the other Pearl snare stands do, either. I know a lot of players mount their toms this way. I don’t think they’re all using concert stands.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Tubwompus

Reaction score
FWIW to ya, in my 50+ years with this stuff, the best snare stand I’ve found that doesn’t choke a rack tom is the 80’s-era Premier Trilok. It’s like a military-grade version of the old 50’s and 60’s basket-type. But bigger, longer legs than a standard SD stand so it’s real stable. The whole thing’s built like a tank. Nuthin’ else like it that I’m personally aware of. I was buying up every one in nice shape that I could find on eBay for awhile there, just for putting single rack toms over virgin bass drums or bass drums with ridiculous (for me) tom mounts, like the ones on Rogers Starlighter kits.

One thing, however, if you decide to go for one...
If you see a specimen where the middle plate, where the basket arms connect, looks like the bottom half is bent a little wider at the corners, pass on it. The arms can slip out of their widest-open positions.

Good luck with your quest.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’m looking to mount my 9x13 tom on a snare stand that adjusts high enough for the basket to clear a 22 inch bass drum. I love my Pearl snare stand, but it doesn’t adjust high enough and I don’t think any of the other Pearl snare stands do, either. I know a lot of players mount their toms this way. I don’t think they’re all using concert stands.

The only way I see to clear a 22" is with a concert snare stand. Standard snare stands go up to like 17". Concert stands start at roughly 24". Gibraltar has 3 options:

Peterk256

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Tama Classic Tom Stand

Does not choke the drum and gets in nice and close to bass drum. Surprisingly stable.

Other than that, the DW 9000 works for me.
I just got the Tama HTS58F Classic Tom Stand and agree 200%. I previously purchased a Yamaha concert height snare stand and it choked the tom, even though it was single braced.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score

PLEASE CHECK YOUR PM.

jaymandude

Reaction score
I just got the Tama HTS58F Classic Tom Stand and agree 200%. I previously purchased a Yamaha concert height snare stand and it choked the tom, even though it was single braced.
Are you gigging ? How do you fold it with that big wing nut on the back ?

Peterk256

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Are you gigging ? How do you fold it with that big wing nut on the back ?
Yes, I use it for gigging. I don't (can't) fold the basket down, I position it up. This is not an issue for my rolling gig bag which is long enough to accommodate it. It's a minor inconvenience (flaw) for my purposes. Shown in use in the attached picture.

Peter-Drums-06-19-20.jpg

Ely

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I will always recommend the pearl S1030 when someone is looking for a new stand. I have 4 that are between 3-8 years old and they have all held up great. These stands have the easiest and most adjustability imo.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Tama Classic Tom Stand

Does not choke the drum and gets in nice and close to bass drum. Surprisingly stable.
Nailed it. I recently got one, and it's perfect for toms. The flat base allows it to get close to the bass drum, it rises plenty high, and it allows the drum to resonate fully. I'm thinking of buying a second one.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
+2 - I have been using the Tama Tom stand for awhile now with no complaints or issues reported .

Matched Gripper

Reaction score
Update! The Pearl snare stand works perfectly. I discovered that the basket doesn't have to clear 22" (the apex of my bass drum), it only has to clear the side curve of the drum. "DOH!" AND THE DRUM SINGS FOR DAYS EVEN WITH COATED EMPS! The Pearl snare stand basket has large, high, rubber feet, allowing me to tilt the drum as needed without squeezing it with the basket feet. As I suspected, hanging a tom (at least a large tom), off of an Atlas lug bracket seems to impair the resonance of the drum.

Anyway, thanks for all of the feedback. Greatly appreciated!

Lee Van Kief

Reaction score
I picked up a Rogers Supreme snare stand recently to match my hi hat and it won’t go nearly low enough to use in place of a regular snare stand. Looks great, though. I use it to mount a pad now.

I’ve also had luck with Ludwig Atlas Classic stands for use with toms, if you’re looking for flat base. Lightweight and lasted through many tours before I sold it. I loved the large knurled basket adjustment cylinder and the feet that allow you to slightly bring it off the ground to clear cables, etc.

Latest posts