Snare Stand Recommendation - UPDATE!

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Update! The Pearl snare stand works perfectly. I discovered that the basket doesn't have to clear 22" (the apex of my bass drum), it only has to clear the side curve of the drum. "DOH!" AND THE DRUM SINGS FOR DAYS EVEN WITH COATED EMPS! The Pearl snare stand basket has large, high, rubber feet, allowing me to tilt the drum as needed without squeezing it with the basket feet. As I suspected, hanging a tom (at least a large tom), off of an Atlas lug bracket seems to impair the resonance of the drum.

Anyway, thanks for all of the feedback. Greatly appreciated!
Tommy Wells once posted about a trick you can do with a snare stand, to help make the drum sound more resonant.
He would stitch rubber bands around the tom to help it "float" on the stand.
I don't recall the specifics, but maybe someone else here knows more about this.
...otherwise, congrats! =)

Elvis

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
Tommy Wells once posted about a trick you can do with a snare stand, to help make the drum sound more resonant.
He would stitch rubber bands around the tom to help it "float" on the stand.
I don't recall the specifics, but maybe someone else here knows more about this.
...otherwise, congrats! =)

Elvis
Best results I've had for making a snare more resonant would be a Gauger flex frame. I don't think it should be used on all snare drums, though. Some sound better and more contained in the basket, as usual.

I thought Tommy used surgical tubing on the snare arms... ?

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’m looking to mount my 9x13 tom on a snare stand that adjusts high enough for the basket to clear a 22 inch bass drum. I love my Pearl snare stand, but it doesn’t adjust high enough and I don’t think any of the other Pearl snare stands do, either. I know a lot of players mount their toms this way. I don’t think they’re all using concert stands.

Any suggestions appreciated.
If you're not against flying toms from cymbal stands, I have a great suggestion. Otherwise, I'll hold off.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
Update! The Pearl snare stand works perfectly. I discovered that the basket doesn't have to clear 22" (the apex of my bass drum), it only has to clear the side curve of the drum. "DOH!" AND THE DRUM SINGS FOR DAYS EVEN WITH COATED EMPS! The Pearl snare stand basket has large, high, rubber feet, allowing me to tilt the drum as needed without squeezing it with the basket feet. As I suspected, hanging a tom (at least a large tom), off of an Atlas lug bracket seems to impair the resonance of the drum.

Anyway, thanks for all of the feedback. Greatly appreciated!
Ah, cool. Glad you found a good solution.

Matched Gripper

Reaction score
If you're not against flying toms from cymbal stands, I have a great suggestion. Otherwise, I'll hold off.
That’s what I want to get away from, and avoid drilling my bass drum, although that’s always a future possibility. But, I’m always open to being educated if you have a suggestion.

pedro navahas

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Tama Classic Tom Stand

Does not choke the drum and gets in nice and close to bass drum. Surprisingly stable.

Other than that, the DW 9000 works for me.

The Tama looks pretty cool and light weight I’m sure.
I have been using the dw 9000 also but would like to get something more vintage looking.
I thought dw came up with a flat base model but I can’t seem to find anything.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Best results I've had for making a snare more resonant would be a Gauger flex frame. I don't think it should be used on all snare drums, though. Some sound better and more contained in the basket, as usual.

I thought Tommy used surgical tubing on the snare arms... ?
Yes, what Gauger sells and what Tommy did were basically the same thing, just two different approaches.
He might've used surgical tubing. I thought it was rubber bands.
Sounds like you know how to go about that, Cauldronics.
Maybe you can tell us how that goes again?

Elvis

Lee Van Kief

Reaction score
The Tama looks pretty cool and light weight I’m sure.
I have been using the dw 9000 also but would like to get something more vintage looking.
I thought dw came up with a flat base model but I can’t seem to find anything.
DW 6000. They call it “flush base.”

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
That’s what I want to get away from, and avoid drilling my bass drum, although that’s always a future possibility. But, I’m always open to being educated if you have a suggestion.
Ok, here’s my post from the “New Hardware Ideas” thread awhile ago. It’s a bit long but it explains what I did.

“Axis Percussion make the closest solution to what I wanted, and I bought and use two of them, but they could still be improved.

I wanted my rack toms mounted in snare baskets that could be positioned anywhere over a bass drum. In every case before getting the Axis, the stem and wheel to tighten a snare basket make it too deep to mount above a bass drum without having the toms way too high or way too angled. They make a vortex snare basket that's very shallow and has a small tightening lever. The problem is the cost. My wallet took a big smack getting two of them.

I think the Axis could be improved by making the three rubber "fingers" that hold the drum, softer and less tone absorbing. The toms needed a lot more help to get their full tone out, so I bought Gauger flex frames to put under each of them. Now they both sound really good, but between the vortex baskets and flex frames, that sure wasn't a cheap way to get them there.

Almost forgot how I attach the whole contraption to stands. Add even more cost for clamps with rotating joints...”

Latest posts