Snare Stand/Tom Tuning Issue

Tylerfrey

Reaction score
Hey All,

I picked up at C&C player date kit recently and have been using a snare stand to mount the 13" tom but I keep running into crazy tuning issues when its on the stand. Ive tried tuning once its mounted as well and every time the stand shifts a little it seems to go out again. Based on a few other threads on this topic I have it one the edge of the hoop (added a photo) and that helps from totally choking it out.

I know they have products that suspend the tom and are supposed to help but I wanted to see if anyone had any good suggestions to try before going that route.

Attachments

CherryClassic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Try opening the stand and let the rim set ON the rubber inside the L shape. Just don't close it too tight on the out side of the rim. My stand has a ridge in the center which raises the drum enough alowing it to sing.

sherm

varatrodder

Reaction score
Snare stands will suck the tone out of a tom. I used a regular DW flat based stand for 10+ years, but a couple of years ago I switched to the DW Ultralight stand and it make a HUGE difference in tone and sustain. It allows the drum to float on the stand and really increased sustain and the overall quality of tone.

I moved the regular DW stand to my office kit, and added those Booty Shaker snare stand things. They worked really well. Not as good as switching to the Ultralight stand, but definitely a noticeable improvement. I highly recommend them.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could it be a problem with the tom itself?

Maybe the reso head isn't tuned properly and that is what's choking the drum.

CherryClassic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Question: How many of you mount your toms on a snare stand as pictured buy the OP?

Am I the only one that noticed that? As pictured the stand has to be tight to hold it in place and that's too tight. He's choking the rim in this case. The drum has to set inside of the basket and only tightened enough to keep it from falling if it even needs to be tightened. If I'm wrong teach me something new. I never tighten the basket on my snare but then it sets more level so it's not needed.

sherm

Last edited:

Tylerfrey

Reaction score
Wow! Appreciate all the dialog on this thread thanks everyone.

Ive had it just sitting in the basket before as well and had the same problem. I ordered some of the booty shakers so when they get here tomorrow ill try a few things with them.

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Question: How many of you mount your toms on a snare stand as pictured buy the OP?

Am I the only one that noticed that? As pictured the stand has to be tight to hold it in place and that's too tight. He's choking the rim in this case. The drum has to set inside of the basket and only tightened enough to keep it from falling if it even needs to be tightened. If I'm wrong teach me something new. I never tighten the basket on my snare but then it sets more level so it's not needed.

sherm
On my kits/stands without booty shakers, I have mine positioned exactly like that (on the edge of the rim, slight angle), and it's not tight. I can rotate the tom in the stand if I want to.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My experience has been that FlexFrame opens a snare stand-mounted tom up better than any other solution.
Same. They're under every tom in my kit. I wish they made them in 15 and 16", but when I emailed Gauger, they said they had no plans to make those sizes.

They can even make a snare drum sound a lot more lively and full.

Last edited:

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used the Flexframe in the past and it worked very well . I currently use the Tama a classic series from stand and I did the Tom doesn’t choke like with a regular snare stand .