Snare Stand/Tom Tuning Issue

davidh

Reaction score
I use a Tama Classic tom stand - very light and similar to the old Ludwig - keeps the drum very resonant.
I was using a Pearl snare stand and it really deadened the drum

flippantminister

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ordered some of the booty shakers so when they get here tomorrow ill try a few things with them.
I've had great success with them. Been playing a tom in a basket for 25 years and it's definitely the best sound I've gotten with one.

tnsquint

Backline Rental Guru
Reaction score
Could it be a problem with the tom itself?

Maybe the reso head isn't tuned properly and that is what's choking the drum.
I’ve got the same kit and the toms choke really quickly on snare stands. I’ve used the little Booty Shakers which worked and Flex Frames which really worked.

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
I’m using the Yamaha crosstown stands or older DW 7000 series for my toms. I suggest, if possible, go to your local drum shop with your drum and try out stands that way. That’s how I picked the 7000 series stands. The rubber on the basket arms was softer and didn’t choke the drum. I also put it on the stand with it just resting in the basket loosely. I tighten the basket just to the point of it barely touching the drum from all three points.

philmets

Reaction score

Browny

Reaction score
I use an old 60s Pearl flat based stand. It’s fairly light and has a little give to it, not enough that I’ve ever worried about a drum falling (even a bigger 14x10” 1980 TAMA superstar), but that helps in not killing the drum. It’s also a taller stand so I can get a tom up high over a 26” bass drum.

I’ve also glued some foam on the inside faces of the basket where the drum sits, kind of like the little booty shakers.

That stand with the foam is night and day compared to a ‘normal’ double braced stand. There’s no discernible difference between holding the drum by the rim or a lug and when it’s on the stand.

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have never mounted a tom on a snare stand. They were always either on a tom stand or the bass drum. Today I come off a Gibraltar rack but on Gauger rims mounts, so I am not sure how to address the tom stand issue you have. What if you brought in a tom stand/ cymbal stand combo and use that? Maybe an easy solution, though the combo stands are not inexpensive. Pearl has one that is a bit pricey.

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've also had best results with old basket-style stands, WFL, the Ludwig ones that came with Acros, vintage Premier or weird, cheap MIJ stands. The only snare stand of any real 'girth' I've had that didn't really choke toms was an 80's Tama, the single-braced ones that came with Swingstars back in the early 80's. They also go really low, which is ultra-handy for deep snares, toms & low kits.

bob

DFO Master
Reaction score
i don't know why anyone would want to mount a tom on a snare stand .... don't get me wrong i used to do it too
i mount my tom on a cymbal stand , most guys have a cymbal stand on the left . so why not mount your tom on that .
plus it's one less stand to carry around with you , and i can get the rack tom in perfect scoring position every time ....

Attachments

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
i don't know why anyone would want to mount a tom on a snare stand .... don't get me wrong i used to do it too
i mount my tom on a cymbal stand , most guys have a cymbal stand on the left . so why not mount your tom on that .
plus it's one less stand to carry around with you , and i can get the rack tom in perfect scoring position every time ....
Different strokes for different folks. The one mounting type I can't stand is "tom attached to cymbal stand". On the bass drum is fine, on a snare stand is fine. If I absolutely need another stand (an 8" in a 3-up configuration, for example), I prefer using a dedicated tom stand. Mounting to the cymbal stand means I need to use a boom arm for the cymbal, which I generally don't like to use, and it means that making an adjustment to either causes disruption to both.

Philaiy9

Reaction score
I would suggest either using the booty shakers or finding an old 60s/70s snare stand by one of the reputable brands for cheap. I've had good results with both in fixing the resonance problem.

High on Stress

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Different strokes for different folks. The one mounting type I can't stand is "tom attached to cymbal stand". On the bass drum is fine, on a snare stand is fine. If I absolutely need another stand (an 8" in a 3-up configuration, for example), I prefer using a dedicated tom stand. Mounting to the cymbal stand means I need to use a boom arm for the cymbal, which I generally don't like to use, and it means that making an adjustment to either causes disruption to both.
I usually play one rack tom and got into using a snare stand for the reason you describe. I play on a variety of different size stages and can’t just have everything in the same exact footprint every time. If I need to pull a cymbal or drum in a little tighter, I can do that easily without affecting the position of other things. Everything is on its own stand.

The exception is when I use a bass drum tom mount. That doesn’t affect cymbal placement if I adjust the tom, so it’s kind of the same principle. Tom flying off heavy cymbal stand with cymbal coming in on a boom is not for me anymore. Neither are floor toms hanging from a cymbal stand. I’d rather carry more stands (that can be lightweight as they are only holding one item) than fewer heavy multi-purpose stands.

CherryClassic

DFO Master
Reaction score
On my kits/stands without booty shakers, I have mine positioned exactly like that (on the edge of the rim, slight angle), and it's not tight. I can rotate the tom in the stand if I want to.
OK, I've never seen someone mount a drum like that before. If it works for that's cool, nothing wrong with it.

sherm