snare strainer/butt location

fsam

Reaction score
Hello. I'm working on my first snare. Nothing fancy, more a learning experience at this point. Is there a rule of thumb for the location of the strainer and butt relative to the snare bed? How far above? Do you place it with the strainer open/closed? I can't seem to find anything on it. Thanks in advance.

Old PIT Guy

Reaction score
I'm sure there's some rule of thumb, but I'd think you'd want the butt minimally 1" above the bearing edge with the throw positioned -minimally- so that when it's in the off position the total drop won't force the snare wire connecting material below the resonant rim's gate.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
One thing I found comparing various snares/strainers: the strainer should be close enough to the shell so the the strap or cord moves almost vertical. Ludwig p83 is a good example. That way you get more travel from it and the wires drop lower, which can be desirable to get a clear snares-off sound, no wires slapping against the head at high volume. (What also works well: the strainer is so low that it lifts off the wires with no strap (parallel strainers, Premier 2000 etc.).

Also check that the strainer can fully move without getting in conflict with the hoop, (this might be relevant with Yamaha-type wood hoops though).

fsam

Reaction score
One thing I found comparing various snares/strainers: the strainer should be close enough to the shell so the the strap or cord moves almost vertical. Ludwig p83 is a good example. That way you get more travel from it and the wires drop lower, which can be desirable to get a clear snares-off sound, no wires slapping against the head at high volume. (What also works well: the strainer is so low that it lifts off the wires with no strap (parallel strainers, Premier 2000 etc.).

Also check that the strainer can fully move without getting in conflict with the hoop, (this might be relevant with Yamaha-type wood hoops though).

fsam

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. To JazzDrumGuy- It's a 6 1/2. I was wondering if depth made a diffirence.