Snare string/rope/wire

DonS

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a Slingerland 1-ply Artist snare with the early Zoomatic strainer. I’ve rehabbed the drum replacing the wires with Canopus wires, an amazing improvement in sensitivity and sound. The string included with the Canopus wires while robust, seem to stretch out over time; I have to crank up the snare knob and eventually have to re-tie as the Zoomatic arm rubs against the hoop. Is there a better wire or string that doesn’t stretch under tension? Thanks in advance.
Regards
Don

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Always had good luck with Ludwig's snare cord. Which appears to be 1.4 or 1.8mm nylon blind cord.

Drumstickdude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just a thought. The Canopus vintage wires ( I use the plated not dry ones on my artist and RK)- use very thin end plates, it's supposed to help the sound. I think there might be a reason the string/cord is a certain thickness so that it works well with the design of the vintage wires. They are designed copying the old slingerland snare wires, and they are the best I've had especially on my RK and SS artist snares. But I don't know how to advise you. Agree the Ludwig cord Is great.

Drumstickdude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Another wire that works great on these drums I think is the Sabian bronze wires the blend version, quite a lively wire, but I still prefer Canopus vintage chrome plated. Good luck with this.