Snare suggestion from these options (for a friend)

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a friend in France looking to purchase a second snare for his son. He wants to keep it at or below 200 Eur and he sent me the following website that he's looking at: https://www.thomann.de/gb/14_steel_snare_drums.html?oa=pra

I was wondering if anyone had any experience/knowledge of either of these 3 snares shown on the site:

- Sonor Smart Force

- Yamaha Stage Custom

- Tama Soundworks

Was leaning towards suggesting the Yamaha. Thoughts?

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Tama has nicer hardware than the Yamaha.
Another option, depending on the depth he prefers, the DW/PDP Mike Terrana snare looks nice with the mag throwoff and tube lugs.

FlamTap

Reaction score
I would agree with your leaning toward the Yamaha... I'd go with the 6.5 over the 5.5 (which isn't in stock anyways) for more versatility... Probably replace the UT heads with a coated Emperor batter and hazy snare, I think his kid will be happier with the tone.

fatchoppers

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Theres new pdp concept snares all over fee bay which may be a better alternative for around $150

dwdave

Groovinator
Reaction score
I'd say Tama over Yamaha and used over new. The PDP stuff is a better value but I don't know if it's easy to get in France.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
For under 200Euro, the Pearl Sensitone in black. I don't like the lugs but I've owned a similar Pearl in chrome and it was good and probably better built than both Tama and Yamaha.......(they are all probably made in China though).......I also like the Supralites but a tad more $$$.....

I agree about used - check out eBay....there's got to be a good used snare in Ebay Europe or even in the US and they can ship (which will suck up costs, though)....

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I think he's leaning towards the Tama. Not sure why that site in particular, because there are a lot of other suggestions I'd offer but that's cool. Appreciate the feedback!

R

RickP

Personally, I would go with an INDe seamless brushed aluminum snare over any of the choices listed. It is about the same amount of money and a truly quality snare drum.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
RickP said:
Personally, I would go with an INDe seamless brushed aluminum snare over any of the choices listed. It is about the same amount of money and a truly quality snare drum.
Word