Snare Suggestions?

spaeth

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A snare that you haven't mentioned which has now taken over the primary place on my snare stand is my 6.5x14 Jenkins Martin. I have a 70's Ludwig Super Sensitive that I never thought would get shelved. I also have a Premier Hammered brass that I love. Neither of these two spend much time after getting the JM snare. The range of tones you can get out of this drum are crazy. The spun fiberglass can be tight and touchy or loosen the snares up some and it gets thick and sloppy. I have 5 snare drums and play the Jenkins Martin 97% of the time now.

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score

GiveMeYourSmallestSticks!

Reaction score
Get this right now. Just posted on CL. 6.5 Black Beauty for 300. Will be gone really fast so don't hesitate
It seems living in Canada is my biggest hurdle in acquiring great gear at reasonable prices. I messaged the owner to see if they would ship it. Even with the cost of shipping it would be a great deal. Thanks for the head's up.

Reaction score
I was thinking it's a bad move to sell those. Save up for your new snare.
You must be that voice of reason that I play really loud to drown out when trying to make impulsive decisions! You're right though, I would regret it, and who knows if and when future gigs would call for those cymbals. I used to have an 18" and a 24" Kerope that I've sold and truthfully don't miss too much, but both the 20" and 22" are beautifully clicky, warm and complex instruments. The 24" was a thing of beauty, but the wash would really overpower the stick sound at mid to louder volumes. I'm fortunate enough to still be working through this Covid madness, so it'll be easier for me to justify just buying my next snare...and supporting the economy...or something.

Reaction score
Alright, so just to keep you folks on your toes and provide some unexpected twists and turns (welcome to my life), I made an appointment with my local drum shop today (had a K Custom Organic Ride to pick up).

After dealing with the cymbal, I got sucked down the snare drum wormhole. After trying a bunch of snares, the clear winner to me was a 6.5 x 14 hammered black beauty with 10 tube lugs and triple flanged hoops. I was helpless after playing it, and couldn't imagine leaving the store without it. Ended up trading my 2 Keropes and my Acrolite to assuage my Jewish guilt and allow me to afford it. Even with the stock heads it was way beyond anything else I tried, including the 110th anniversary 14 x 5 black beauty. That was also a great drum, but I preferred the tuning range and the more controlled sound of 10 lugs. Still can't believe I have one of these, I'm living the dream!

Can't wait to mess around with head and snare choices (thinking of putting some 40 strand pure sounds on it), and I'll post a pic soon enough. Just had to share my excitement, as I may just spend the next couple of days hugging my new drum on the floor. I won't post pics of that.