Snare throw-off on right side on snare drum

marjilch

Reaction score
I have a Dunnett snare drum that if you place the badge front (away from you) and center, the throw-off will be located on the right side of the drum. If you spin the drum so the throw-off is on the left side of the drum, the badge will be facing you. While mostly an aesthetic issue (since it has a swivel throw-off), it doesn’t seem normal. I’ve never seen any snare drums manufactured this way. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
Could be a custom lefty.

If all is as it should be, and nothing is upside down (highly unlikely from Dunnett) the drum must’ve been built for a lefty. Ronn Dunnett would probably remember having made it that way, drop him a line - he’ll be glad to tell you.

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My Dunnett has two badges on it -- the round "coin" badge is facing the audience when the throw off is on the left, while the script "Dunnett" badge is facing me.

Prufrock

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Most (but not all) LA period Camco wood-shelled snare drums had the strainer mounted to the left of the badge, whereas most (but not all) of the brass-shelled drums had the strainer on the right. I have no idea why the orientation of the strainer was switched, or why they tended to do this for the wood-shelled drums but not the brass ones. Go figure!

Attachments

Nubs

Reaction score
That sounds like a lefty snare drum to me. I'll take it off your hands for ya ;)

marjilch

Reaction score
Most (but not all) LA period Camco wood-shelled snare drums had the strainer mounted to the left of the badge, whereas most (but not all) of the brass-shelled drums had the strainer on the right. I have no idea why the orientation of the strainer was switched, or why they tended to do this for the wood-shelled drums but not the brass ones. Go figure!
I’ve had Sonor, Yamaha, Pearl and Premier snares. None have had the strainer throw on the right when the badge is facing forward.

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My reissue Dyna-Sonic (which is the same as the original Dynas), has a conventional badge surrounding the vent as well as a "Rogers" nameplate that is attached on the direct opposite panel of the drum. If I place the drum with the vent at the 6 o'clock position the throwoff is at around 8 o'clock. If I place the drum with the "Rogers" nameplate at the 6 o'clock position the throwoff is at around 2 o'clock.

If I place my brass-on-brass Black Beauty with the vent/badge at the 6 o'clock position the throwoff is also at around 2 o'clock.

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I place the strainer at about 1:30 or 2:00 o'clock where it's easily accessible and doesn't interfere with the tom or my leg.
I have no idea, nor do I care, where the badge is.

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
As a lefty, I ordered a DW specific to this setup. Unfortunately (even after approval), it still arrived as a right handed.

Seems like you got a lefty model.

Great for us lefties.

Both the older Brady and ADM, and Yamaha high end Absolute models had exchangable strainers and butt end’s so the badge would still face from the player.

The rotating Dunnett is another option, but it adjust thension when doing so, so that is not the most ideal situation.

I did put out a new request at Gewa/DW for a side snare with a left handed setup. Lets hope they will listen to a paying customer this time.