Snare Tuning...HELP before I lose my sanity!

multijd

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or - Voila even. I’m sorry to be a spellchecker, but there are 2 that drive me NUTS - Viola for voila (a viola is a small violin, and doesn’t even phonetically resemble voila) and ‘defiantly’ for definitely - how do you look at defiantly and just smoosh the end in your mouth to make it defntly? Idk
The viola is slightly larger than a violin. It is tuned a perfect fifth lower than the violin and is essentially one octave higher than a cello.

multijd

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
engineer is another somebody else's job ; )

it's like mic's and recording equip I could care less that's somebody else's job
otherwise sx dx and rx I don't know what you mean unless that relates to 1978 Thunderbirds
or maybe a Suzuki suv from the 80s ; )

If I can get thru the morning to noon east coast time on dfo
I usually ok for the rest of the day; usually..

So this morning so far here on dfo, we've had 8 main water pipe breaks and one guy who can't find his snare in Canada.
Oh wow. I guess I’m missing some action. Maybe I shouldn’t practice quite as much.

RyanLovesDrums

Reaction score
I just tuned my snare again the way Rob Brown teaches on YouTube and it sounds great. Except don’t tune circular around the drum with the two keys, do it in a star pattern. I think this makes you tension the hoop more evenly. Add a little muffling if you want. That’s what I did in the video below. Check it out.

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
The viola is slightly larger than a violin. It is tuned a perfect fifth lower than the violin and is essentially one octave higher than a cello.
lol, I stand corrected! Always thought it was a baby violin. All’s I know is it defiantly ain’t no French for “dey it iz”

JonnyFranchi$e

Reaction score
I just tuned my snare again the way Rob Brown teaches on YouTube and it sounds great. Except don’t tune circular around the drum with the two keys, do it in a star pattern. I think this makes you tension the hoop more evenly. Add a little muffling if you want. That’s what I did in the video below. Check it out.
The snare sounds excellent. "Beatdown" Brown rules the world of internet drummers, IMO.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Coated ambassador on the wood one, coated Emperor on the BB, clear or hazy Amb on the bottoms. And bail the ribbon for cord - I agree.....
I don't like the P88 or the 3 point DW butt, either......but that's personal preference......the less moving parts the better.....

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
as long as you don't lose...

MY IDENTITY
" Effective immediately, Mapex Drums is suspending the MyDentity Series drum set program. While we believe in the spirit of customization and the idea that drummers deserve a wide range of choices at a competitive price, several contributing factors have made it clear that a revamp, redesign, and a renewed sense of forward thinking must be devoted to this product to make it a special experience for you, the customer. It is with this mission in mind that we temporarily suspend this offering to make improvements, reimagine the concept, and revitalize the Mapex MyDentity series. The customer experience is at the heart of this program and we pledge our intent to bring MyDentity back to the market as soon as possible "

Taps.

mebeatee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Once snare drums are "dialled in" and something goes wrong, or changed, it can be a real pain to get it back sometimes....isn't twiddling fun!!!
Twiddle on!!!!
Or.......
....is this a thinly disguised plea to acquire more snare drums...;)
by

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That kit sounds really nice. Are the toms pitched up a bit ? reso higher ?

RyanLovesDrums

Reaction score
That kit sounds really nice. Are the toms pitched up a bit ? reso higher ?
So they’re old Yamaha rock tour customs. The two rack toms are both 11x13’s with coated ambassadors. The floor is 16x16 with an Evans G2. The interval between the floor tom and middle tom is a 5th and interval between middle tom and high tom is a major 6th. The floor tom is tuned pretty low (a B, first octave) and high tom pretty high. A nice broad spectrum of notes. The toms go B, F#, D#. Oh yeah, the floor tom heads are both tuned to the same pitch and the rack toms are tighter on the resos.

Last edited:

KarnaKarma

Reaction score
where did you tune it, and how's the room acoustically? some rooms are really bad for snare tuning, when you hit the snare some naughty sonic waves are powerful enough to be reflected back into a more powerful wave. they are able to make the snare wonky with all sorts of weird overtones. high ceilings, bad acoustic treatments, furnitures, snare placement, etc comes into play.

this is the reason why i love tuning my snare outdoors on my garden, no echo, no sonic interference. worst case is my neighbor would file a complaint but its worth it for a perfectly tuned snare :)

Tman

Reaction score
I'm not making an endorsement but newer Evans heads in my experience aren't as versatile as to where you strike the drum vs Remo or Aquarian (which I'm finding are good heads on snares you might need to work a bit more to dial in). I have older (5-10 yrs) Evans heads on a couple of wood snare that sound fantastic and I won't change them. No matter where I strike those drums they work well. To me their newer heads sound flat. A G14 is a thick head, try a medium.

emada

Reaction score
My experience, working in a drum store for years, is that Ludwig snares “like” thin, loose resonant heads with snares of practically any type as long as they’re on cords. If you can get German nickel, mmmm. Tight or loose, they snug in the snare bed and respond smoothly. Tuned high, the drum gets very narrow in range, fine if you want backbeat and rim hit range. Batter head has wide range, with good tone muffled inside, outside, or not.

DW drums are polar opposite. A DW rep showed us how they tune drums, which involved tympani tight resonant heads, much higher than most people would think comfortable. The best is to tune it to the note indicated on the shell. Snare wires snug. Batter heads medium to tight, always looser than however tight the bottom head is, unmuffled seemed most natural. Once you find the harmonic balance, they are very melodic.

Like most everything, there will be disagreements and exceptions, so YMMV.

Peano

Reaction score
Or - Voila even. I’m sorry to be a spellchecker, but there are 2 that drive me NUTS - Viola for voila (a viola is a small violin ....
Actually, a viola is a large violin, and it's a beautiful instrument. Years ago I was playing percussion in the pit orchestra for "The Sound of Music." The orchestra originally had three or four violins (plus woodwinds, brass, etc.), but along the way the conductor brought in a chick who played viola. And oh, man! By just adding that one instrument, it was like the orchestra flipped a switch from mono to stereo. I was blown away. Which is why I am very sure that a viola is a BIG violin. Cheers!
viola.jpg

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try new snareside heads.
Sometimes you can spin the snare side 90 degrees and that will help.
....also, making sure the snare wires are centered on the head, when turned on.

Elvis

bodinski

the Tingler
Reaction score
I've had the same issue as the OP with my LP Banda brass. I got a pretty good sound in the center but rattley, buzzy wire hell when played off. I tried different heads, multiple wire sets - all mounted with ribbon, meticulous adjustments to said heads & wires & got nowhere. This thread got me wondering about cord so I switched out the ribbons & the problem is gone. A post-Festivus miracle!

For the record, my Black Magic, Supralite & Arcadia snares use ribbon-mounted wires without off-center buzzing issues.

Last edited:

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
bodinski,

When you say you changed out the "ribbons" are you saying you swapped the clear plastic straps most snare drums come with these days with some kind of ribbon (like Grosgrain), or were you using Grosgrain ribbon and simply changed out what you had with new pieces?....or did you switch to some kind of cord? (like kite string or some kind of specialized snare wire cord?).

Elvis

Reaction score
Update:
I switched the maple snare back to cords and VOILA (or viola lol) the problem was instantly solved. I do think I will try an Ambassador head just to see if I like the feel. The G14 is a 14 mil single ply head which sounds good but my heart tells me I could be getting more. I have Ambassadors on my LM400 Supra and Acrolite and love the way they feel. Will be tackling the BB this weekend. Same thing, switching back to cords and trying Ambassador for batter head.

Thanks again for the replies, tips, and recommendations.