Snare Tuning...HELP before I lose my sanity!

bodinski

the Tingler
Reaction score
bodinski,

When you say you changed out the "ribbons" are you saying you swapped the clear plastic straps most snare drums come with these days with some kind of ribbon (like Grosgrain), or were you using Grosgrain ribbon and simply changed out what you had with new pieces?....or did you switch to some kind of cord? (like kite string or some kind of specialized snare wire cord?).

Elvis
I was using grosgrain ribbon & switched to the soft strings that came with a set of wires.

jeffh

Reaction score
Also, make sure they are smack dab centered, even distance from the drums edges on both sides.
This. I'm not in agreement about the cords vs. ribbon comments, and I vastly prefer ribbon in terms of getting the tension even from side to side of the wireset. But if the wireset is not centered on the head (end plates same distance from the edges) you will get exactly the symptoms you've described.

deepsoulradio

Reaction score
Puresound wires never worked for me. I don't think I had excessive buzz issues, but sound-wise I'd prefer some cheap-ass chrome-plated ones.

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I didn't read all the reply's: I use Pure Sound factory replacements on my Ludwig Supra 6.5x14 with strings and thinking about changing to the ribbon style, just make sure it is even on both sides and straite with no binds. I also like tight resonant heads for a crisp sound but over tightening can cause problems. I would say start over with the resonant head making sure it stays even all the way around and tighten it till you get that crispy sound. Stop there, if it's a new head keep tightening each day till it's broken in and no longer needs it. The batter head is personal I like mine tighter than most, almost dead in the middle but ringy off center. You may be over tightening both heads and choking the drum.

Or change to REMO. LOL

sherm

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The thing with using cord is that with angled end plates up (generic or Ludwig style metal plates, no cord channels) the wires get pressed into the head more, so they lift off with harder hits, no choking. A strap or ribbon (no difference between these imo) just pulls horizontally, often causing the wires to choke the tone of the drum.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once snare drums are "dialled in" and something goes wrong, or changed, it can be a real pain to get it back sometimes....isn't twiddling fun!!!
Twiddle on!!!!
Or.......
....is this a thinly disguised plea to acquire more snare drums...;)
by
Right! Just keep replacing the out of whack snare drums with new drums that are setup properly. haha Selling off the old ones.

Ox Han

Reaction score
Yes.. or at least really loosen the 2 lugs ( or 4 ) on either side of the wires. That's a super quick test and fix...
This

and l those reso heads a little. I’ve had this same outcome when reso heads were too tight in a small room. I would expect these two things to solve the problem.