Snare upgrade for a Roland TD-11K kit

SanDiegoHarry

Reaction score
So I'm a veteran bassist (since '77) who has fiddleed with drums more or less since 1980 - I finally got a used Roland TD-11K kit and started lessons.

one thing that really strikes me is that much of my practice, as a beginner, centers around the snare. Right now, I have the stock Roland PDX-8 mesh snare and while it seems okay, it doesn't bounce like a real snare (yeah, I know - no shock) and it's SMALL.

I've looked at a larger version of this - the PDX-12 - is it worth it as an upgrade? Are there alternatives that might be even better that would continue to work with my TD-11K module?

thanks very much

electrodrummer

Reaction score
Size - as they say - really doesn't matter.

98% of all your hits on a snare are going to be within a 6" circle of the centre.

drum centre hits.fw.png

SanDiegoHarry

Reaction score
So if we accept that the diameter of the pad is meaningless, is there any other pad that would have an improved reponse / feel that will work with my TD-11K module?

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You might want to look into a Roland PD-120. This is a dual zone 12" mesh head pad that although no longer made, is available quite readily on the used market. They work quite well as a snare pad with Roland modules. The other option, if you have access to an acoustic snare drum, is to outfit the batter side with a mesh head (Remo Silent Stroke) and add a rim-mounted external trigger. I went this route when I had a Roland TD-12 module and it worked quite well.

Latest posts