Snare wires for a 15” drum - modify?

bfulton

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’m unable to find many choices for a 15” snare drum. I currently have a 42 strand wire ... but it’s too much. I’m wondering about modifying those wires, and trim it down to 30 strands. I’ve never done this but it’s obvious I’d need to take great care to file and sand rough edges.
Alternatively, I’ve thought of simply putting 14” wires on it. Yes, it’s a half inch short on each side.

Or for that matter, is there a builders’ source that could help?

jaymandude

Reaction score
drum factory direct should have some. I got mine there, just the cheap ones.

bfulton

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That’s where I got the 42 strand. I dunno. This game may not be worth the candle.
I think I’m spoiled by too much choice for the 14” snares

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah, possibly.
Anybody know of a good place to buy wires aside from DFD?

bfulton

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’m good - I have wires. Im just kvetching because I don’t have the variety to choose from, like I do with 14” wires.
Thanks, though. It’s good of you to offer!

Powertone

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
While finding 15” wires can be challenging, I have had no problem finding 20 strands and even found a nice set of pure sounds.

Ajbambino

Reaction score
Yeah, I was going to say I just bought puresound 15" for my marching snare build I finished. They sound beautiful!

As for cutting wires down, my only concern would be making sure no little bit of the wire was still there and put a hole in the bottom res head. Probably have to use a file and it get it really nice and smooth of you go that route.

Let me know if ya need the link for the 15" puresound (20 strand)! If not, let me know what ya end up doing! Definitely curious to see how it comes out