header.nohb.html

Snare wires, how important?

thejohnlec

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a 1968 5” Ludwig Super Sensitive that has the original wires, and a few strands are missing. I bought a set of Puresounds for that so I wouldn’t cause any more wear on the original snare wires. Frankly, I don’t like the Puresounds as much as I do the original snares, even with a few missing.

On my other snares, I usually just go the inexpensive route and get solid results - 16 strands on most of them, with 42 strands on the two Radio Kings.

dsop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
There's a difference, but it's minor. I generally use the German ones that drumfactorydirect sells, or the generic chrome ones. Always 16 strand though. That's the ticket for me. I tried the Canopus wires once. They were okay, but not the holy grail that others make them out to be.

10thMtnDivCpl

Reaction score
Here are some informative videos:

How Snare Wires Affect Sound

How To Install Snare Wires

Puresound Wire Shootout

37 Different Wires Shootout (Canopus, Dunnett, DW, FatCat, Gibraltar, Grover, Puresound, Sabian, Tama)

Last edited:

GretschMan61

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Huge difference going to Canopus wires in my experience. I've switched to them on almost all of my snare drums, either 20 or 42 strands.

+1 - Eyedrum gifted me with a set of Canopus Vintage wires and I put them on my Ludwig Black Beauty and the improvement of an already great snare drum was remarkable and even noticed by my bandmates who are pretty jaded individuals .

Browny

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’ve got a few sets of different snare wires at home.

I think I like a generic pair of Taiwanese 25 strands on my 6.5 Acrolite. They feel a little lighter gauge, very bright, have a bit of a sizzle to them.

I’ve got 20 strand Pearl Ultrasounds on my 6.5 Jarrah stave. They feel a heavier gauge than the generics, have more bite to them, seem a bit darker, less of that sizzle, probably more controlled with 5 less stands.

Got some pure sounds too and they’re alright. I like the 16 strand brass customs. To my ears they’re darker/warmer and controlled, seems like you get a nice, clean snap without the sizzle/white noise of the higher count steel wires.

I did have set of Gibraltar 42s, not sure where they are now, but didn’t like them at all. In hindsight, the only snare I had at the time was the Jarrah stave which has quite narrow and deep snare beds and those wires would have never worked. Maybe if I can find them again and they’re not mashed up I’ll give them a try on the Acro.

So if say wires do make a difference, but probably less than head selection, tuning and muffling. It’s more of a character thing. It’s nice to have options, but if you told me I could only use generic 20s for the rest of my days it wouldn’t be the end of the world.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I pulled my LM400 out today , I can’t imagine anything helping it . It the worst snare I’ve ever had by far …Glad I don’t have but $100 into it …..If Canopus can save it I’ll buy stock …

stick2it

Reaction score
I posted this a few days ago in the thread, What wires would one use with acrylic snare?, and I've offered much the same before in older DFO threads:

I first replaced my stock snare wires with PurseSound snare wires, and then I replaced my PurseSound snare wires with Canopus 20-strand Vintage wires...on all of my snare drums. The Canopus snare wires make magic on snare drums, from the cheapest to the over-priced. I have a maple Sonor 5.5x14 "Select Force" snare drum that I bought "old-stock" new for $99, changed the stock heads and installed Canopus Vintage snare wires. Wow, what a drum it is now! Of course, my cheap Sonor can't match my Canopus snare drum with Canopus snare wires, but it is still fantastic, and I have in it $99 + $50 for the Canopus wires and two Aquarian heads.

SY-ya-nara

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I pulled my LM400 out today , I can’t imagine anything helping it . It the worst snare I’ve ever had by far …Glad I don’t have but $100 into it …..If Canopus can save it I’ll buy stock …
My dad was a pilot hound dog, and whenever he would hear of the worst accident that could happen to a pilot, Dad would inevitably and always say “” cockpit error not mechanical.

<grin>

How was the crowd and the show last night and your performance how do you feel about it?

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
My preferred wires -

1. Vintage Ludwig , both plastic and chrome ends . 16 strand or less .
2. Pearl with the " C " shaped butts . The outside wires a bit tighter . It's those that usually buzz .
3. Pearl 24 strand regular chromed , if you can find them .
4. Puresound 30 strand , on some drums, not all .

If I'm tensioning with cord, the wire set has to have recessed channels in the plates , which is problemical with the old Ludwigs . I found a way of making my own in a vice , but I'd rather have them factory made .

Since I like a loud trashy sound , cheapo wire sets are comlimentary . Sometimes .

I prefer a thinner gauge wire , looking forward to trying out the Canopus .

Last edited:

Jazzhead

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Is it a vintage one? How come it doesn’t sound good? Those snares are mostly nothing but great. I have a ‘67 supra and it’s great, I still prefer my Royal Ace though.

Jazzhead

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I posted this a few days ago in the thread, What wires would one use with acrylic snare?, and I've offered much the same before in older DFO threads:

I first replaced my stock snare wires with PurseSound snare wires, and then I replaced my PurseSound snare wires with Canopus 20-strand Vintage wires...on all of my snare drums. The Canopus snare wires make magic on snare drums, from the cheapest to the over-priced. I have a maple Sonor 5.5x14 "Select Force" snare drum that I bought "old-stock" new for $99, changed the stock heads and installed Canopus Vintage snare wires. Wow, what a drum it is now! Of course, my cheap Sonor can't match my Canopus snare drum with Canopus snare wires, but it is still fantastic, and I have in it $99 + $50 for the Canopus wires and two Aquarian heads.
I am thinking of changing the stock wires on a cheap poplar Sonor player snare. But honestly it sounds good even with the cheapo 16 strand wires it has on it.

SY-ya-nara

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of changing the stock wires on a cheap poplar Sonor player snare. But honestly it sounds good even with the cheapo 16 strand wires it has on it.
I forgot the guys name at precision drum that does all that great work with snares etc. he goes don’t buy anything but Gibraltar Lee.

ThomasL

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For me, the wires are very important. I have Canopus Vintage Dry wires on all my snares, except on the 13" snare that goes with my nesting kit. The snare beds and snare wires are perhaps the most important aspects of a snare drum for me, then comes size (not too shallow), hoops (cast) and only then shell material.

p83

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
i own about 20 60's/70's ludwig snare drums. they all have original 18 strand metal ended wires. it's what the chief wanted.....................

oh yeah - string, not tape! let the drum breathe.

SY-ya-nara

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
i own about 20 60's/70's ludwig snare drums. they all have original 18 strand metal ended wires. it's what the chief wanted.....................

oh yeah - string, not tape! let the drum breathe.
+1!

SY-ya-nara

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For me, the wires are very important. I have Canopus Vintage Dry wires on all my snares, except on the 13" snare that goes with my nesting kit. The snare beds and snare wires are perhaps the most important aspects of a snare drum for me, then comes size (not too shallow), hoops (cast) and only then shell material.
Dry. You play lotsa notes fast and need all help they can give to highlight your preciseness, I bet.

I am an Okie. Why do mine sound like spurs that jingle jangle? Don't answer - rhetorical ? !

ETA: Some say the sound of a perfect roll is like evenly tearing a piece of paper. Won't be long and kids will go huh? What's paper? Digital age - don't get me started ...

I like mine rolls just fine. Kinda sounds like Santa's sleigh leaving the rooftop, with Rudolph's nose (almost as brite as mine, but I am biased) lighting up his special pile of pre-compost left on the roof JUST for you! Kinda like me, huh?

Last edited:

KCJazz

Reaction score
Dry. You play lotsa notes fast and need all help they can give to highlight your preciseness, I bet.

I am an Okie. Why do mine sound like spurs that jingle jangle? Don't answer - rhetorical ? !
Here's one for you. Trap set is supposed to come from contraption. My guess was that it came from a trapper's array. Wouldn't one ensnare something with snare wires? I'll bet you do in OK.

SY-ya-nara

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I bet you are too slick for my snare wires. Tell ya what, on a coooool summer day like this - let's see middle from OKC- KC, let's meet in Dodge City Kansas - right in front of the cemetery - two blocks east of the Hooter's - can't miss it - bring your oil, I'll bring my snares - at 12:00 noon. Deal?

ETA: Ooops old man I am. I was still in the Hooter's with the oil and the snare wires ....

Showdown! Can you survive? - I already told you we use only barbed wire (we're green eco oily bass tiereds here!) - RUSTY barbed wire for snares here - in OK - where most men are red, but I am blue!

ETA to ETA: No political talks here, mr/ms admins. Nothing to see ...

Last edited: