Snares that don't match the kit...

mcirish

Reaction score
I've got a Ludwig Classic Maple kit in black oyster. I have a supraphonic that looks good with it. I just picked up a phospohor bronze sensitone that sort of looks ok. Now I'm thinking about a Mapex Exterminator but it will really clash with the kit. Maybe I should have bought a black kit so everything goes with it... Ha.

How many of you care about if the snare matches the kit?

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I WANT the snare to stand out. I'm pretty OCD about getting things to match up, but I really like it when a good quality snare is making a statement visually as well as sonically.

trommel

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The sound of the snare & how it blends with the set are the most important considerations. Cosmetics are for people who are lacking in knowledge. Or who ordered incorrectly when the set was ordered/purchased.

clowndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a handful of really cool snares that really don’t look good since I got my Champagne Sparkle kit more recently. It ultimately doesn’t matter, but I’m also not playing out.

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’d been eyeing a shell to build a match for my Radio Kings. Was not gonna be cheap!
Wife pointed out she’s never seen me playing a matching snare. Why start now?
Stayed with my blue sparkle!
E43BA51E-9DA7-4747-A321-75C16A61679A.jpeg

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I honestly can't stand when the snare matches. Makes it look like you put no thought into it, like you just bought a kit and that was it.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drummer Riddle:
So if another brand is being used for the snare

what drums are you playing

Soundwise
The snare's make? or the toms and bass..
~~~~~~

accepting answers until Monday 4 pm est.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drummer Riddle:
So if another brand is being used for the snare

what drums are you playing

Soundwise
The snare's make? or the toms and bass..
~~~~~~

accepting answers until Monday 4 pm est.
It's a good question. A drummer's sound is largely his snare, bass drum, and cymbals.

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The sound of the snare & how it blends with the set are the most important considerations. Cosmetics are for people who are lacking in knowledge. Or who ordered incorrectly when the set was ordered/purchased.
Matching snares are more than a match in looks, usually they’re a match or quite similar in material and construction, consequently a sonic match, too. One ought to be able to get a matching snare to blend well with the rest of the set.

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I buy drum sets to match my snares. I liked the Rogers Dyna-sonic, so I bought a matching WMP Holiday set. I liked the Ludwig LS-401, so I bought a matching set of CMs.

hsosdrum

Reaction score
Matching snares are more than a match in looks, usually they’re a match or quite similar in material and construction, consequently a sonic match, too. One ought to be able to get a matching snare to blend well with the rest of the set.
Part of what made me feel like my new wood Dyna-Sonic was going to work will with my Ludwig Legacy Maples was that its shell construction (maple/poplar/maple with maple rings) is exactly the same (slightly steeper edges, I believe). I figured the Dyna would be a sonic match for the Ludwigs, and boy, is it ever! The Ludwigs and the Rogers sound like they were conceived and built with each other in mind, a perfect blend.

As a bonus, Rogers seems to be using the same WMP material that Ludwig is, so the finishes match perfectly as well. I couldn't be happier. :thumbup:

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your drums your sound. Nothing wrong with a snare that doesn’t visually match, as long as you feel it sonically works.

I do not, however, like the name “Exterminator.” I just looked it up. Seems like an excellent drum, though Maybe call it something else. How about “Velvetone” or something?

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t like matching snares at all. Like stated above, gives me the feeling the drummer gives no thought to the snare sound.
A matching snare (finish, wood, plies) doesn’t necessarily match the kit soundwise. Snaredrums tend to behave very differently from toms and bass drums.

Ray Dee Oh King

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It doesnt matter what it looks like to me personally. If it sounds good, it sounds good, even if it is lime green with pink teddy bears . Ive sold the matching snares to kits in the past due to not liking the sound.

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am fine with a matching snare but only if it's a great snare. The Yamaha Absolute Hybrid Maple is a great, incredibly versatile snare, so it gets a lot of stand time. I actually thought of buying it in natural or black so that there was some contrast.

There was one time that I sold a snare because of how it looked with my kits. My kits at the time were my gold sparkle broadkasters and a bright yellow DW Jazz Series bop kit. The offending snare was a terrific Noble & Cooley ash snare in red sparkle. Amazing drum, but every time I saw the snare with the kits I thought of McDonalds. Or worse: Tony Williams' last DW kit.