Snareweight M1

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

I was at one of my local shops and Noticed these on one of the sets .
Got a chance to fool with it and thought it would be a great tool for muffling .
I have not been the biggest fan of Moongel for a few reasons , so something like this that doesn’t make my costs heads blue or melt together is a good thing .

They are available from Amazon as well .

Attachments

Last edited:

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

I was at one of my local shops and Noticed these on one of the sets .
got a chance to fool with it and thought it would be a great tool for muffling .
I have not been the biggest fan of Moongel for a few reasons , so something like this that doesn’t make my costs heads blue or melt together is a good thing .

They are available from Amazon as well .
I really like their bigger version (was it called M80...?) But this smaller one is bit light and doesn't always sit flush (or at all) on the head. I have 2 of the M1's and they both are very finicky, and often just float on top of the head not dampening it at all. Maybe the skin was bit too thick so it's not relaxed enough to sit flush. This problem comes up pretty much every time I release the damper from the up position. If you just plan to keep the dampener on all the time, them I'm sure it's fine.

The bigger version I love, and you can use it so that it dampens the same amount as the (functioning) small one, or if you open it up completely, it dampens more. It's much more functional and flexible.

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I really like their bigger version (was it called M80...?) But this smaller one is bit light and doesn't always sit flush (or at all) on the head. I have 2 of the M1's and they both are very finicky, and often just float on top of the head not dampening it at all. Maybe the skin was bit too thick so it's not relaxed enough to sit flush. This problem comes up pretty much every time I release the damper from the up position. If you just plan to keep the dampener on all the time, them I'm sure it's fine.

The bigger version I love, and you can use it so that it dampens the same amount as the (functioning) small one, or if you open it up completely, it dampens more. It's much more functional and flexible.
Ya, I have this issue with the M1. What I do is take it off the drum when not in use and store it flat. Then it sits flush next time I go to pick it up. Makes the easy release function a moot point, though.

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ya, I have this issue with the M1. What I do is take it off the drum when not in use and store it flat. Then it sits flush next time I go to pick it up. Makes the easy release function a moot point, though.
Maybe I need to just fold and bend it little bit, to make the leather more flexible. I love the idea, and on the bigger one it works great.

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Maybe I need to just fold and bend it little bit, to make the leather more flexible. I love the idea, and on the bigger one it works great.
They do get more pliable over time. But even my oldest one still has that problem, but in a pinch I’ll fold it over on itself several times to get it (mostly) flat on the drum (when I haven’t kept it flat for instance.)

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I wanted to like it, it's a nifty combination of materials, but had the same problem. Too much of a hassle, and not reliable. Also doesn't work well on a die-cast hoop, it's either too low or (almost) falling off.

There are other non-glue DIY solutions that work better, like a piece of cloth fixed into place by a drumkey or a clamp (edit: see Halldor's post below) - you can fold it back completely or partly and get a very similar result. Once you bring out the gaffa tape, there are even more options like the cymbal felt/coin a la Paul Leim, or just a small piece of paper lying loosely on the head.

Last edited:

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My favorite muffling technique for snares is my tape gate, a variation of the Akira Jimbo/Paul Leim coin or felt floppers. It’s very subtle. Drum opens up as normal, tape lands back and kills excess sustain. Here’s the thread. Used it yesterday in the studio!
81E74619-FCCC-4E5C-9F6E-37D3979A878C.jpeg

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Gaff tape muffles but doesn't change the pitch like a weight does. I'm perpetually looking for a deeper snare but hate the feel and sound of tuning too low. So far I like the donut best but haven't tried the snare weight gizmos.

dirtcity

Reaction score
I've recently been diving into options for muffling. I have the Snareweight m80, I have the brass Snareweight (absolutely LOVE this thing for the studio). The guy who tracked my drums for my band's last record introduced to me to it and it's the perfect amount.

I also bought a big fat snare drum weighted studio ring. Definitely not an every day kind of thing, but for a certain effect, it nails it.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I for one use them all the time (both the smaller M1 and M80), great muffles for me.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Gaff tape muffles but doesn't change the pitch like a weight does. I'm perpetually looking for a deeper snare but hate the feel and sound of tuning too low. So far I like the donut best but haven't tried the snare weight gizmos.
Then the Big Fat Snare Drum is for you. I don't think the snare weight changes the pitch a lot, even the brass one. The BFSD does, due to the extra layer vibrating/slowing down the vibration. I once used just a sheet of paper (little thicker than standard), laying on the batter head, taped to the rim.

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I like the M1 but I always use it folded. It gives just the right amount of dampening (minor), just to get the brightest overtones out.

DE274300-C5F2-4599-B59B-D43882DF27CD.jpeg

But this is by far my fav dampening device. Easy to control the amount if dampening. The cloth lifts when you strike so you get full sound but with a shorter sustain plus it’s super cheap.

664C342E-A76D-4C68-B738-03EB4EF5D4B6.jpeg

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
I had forgotten about the m80 until now, and meant to try it. There should be one here next week.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I do the same thing as halldorl with the binder clip and felt piece. I keep a few in my bag to add to the toms as need be too. The snareweight looks much more elegant though.

Grooovepig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think this would work well in a studio or practice room situation. Under gigging conditions, constantly throwing your drum in and out of bags, I lost mine all the time. Nope, gaff tape with a few tent folds for me.

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I pretty much use an old wallet. It’s tied onto the snare, which is a good idea considering some of the dives I play. It’s also duct taped together so it doesn’t flop open.

It can easily be flipped off between or even during songs with a stick.

Thank Not the most elegant, I know. I do find at a rehearsal or gig it is like having two very different drums: one open and one closed. One minute I’m playing with Jimi Hendrix and the next I’m playing with Bob Seger.
C42BAAB9-8DAB-4001-AC6D-3FFD3A9270F4.png

Latest posts