header.nohb.html

So George Kollias is now endorsing Zildjian!

HDrays1

Reaction score
Many of you have probably heard by now (or not), but for those of you who haven't, after a couple Instagram posts where he confirmed a change in cymbal endorsements the cat's officially out of the bag. As a Zildjian fan myself this is somewhat big news, not to mention probably a pretty decent catch for Zildjian on their end, what with recently having some of their other long term artists jump ship themselves. Most interesting thing to note is that he seems to be playing largely the darker K and K Custom models which is seems to be a bit of a unique choice for drummers in his genre but to each their own obviously.
Screen Shot 2022-11-20 at 1.50.36 AM.png

Edit: since it's somewhat obscured in the image here's his full setup:
My current live set up:
A Mega Bell Ride 21” (right)
A Mega Bell Ride 21” (Left)
K Mastersound Hi Hat 14”
K Dark Crash Thin 18”
K Sweet Crash 18”
K Custom Dark Crash 19”
K Cluster Crash 20”
A Custom Splash 6”
A Custom Splash 8”
K Splash 8”
A Special Recording Hi Hat 12”
A Custom Mastersound Hi Hat 13”
A China High 16”
K Custom Dark China 17”
K Custom Hybrid China 19”
A Custom China 20”

I wonder if this means he'll ever get signature Zildjian sticks too? Lol.

KQED

Reaction score
Is it just me or have there been alot of artists ditching Sabian lately?

kevinyarger

Reaction score

With him having a signature stick with Vic Firth it would seem a switch wouldn't be necessary seeing as they are both under the same roof technically but not completely out of the question. Aaron Spears had a Vic sig stick and then went over to Zildjian sticks. I don't know what changed between the two models though.

To bring it back to cymbals a little, his switch isn't too surprising, again because of the Vic connection, I would assume he has a great working relation with some of the Vic people that transitioned over to Zildjian, so with this move, he has one less call to make on any gear issues he might have.

KQED

Reaction score
Chad Smith, this guy, and who else?
I noticed Jay Postones from Tesseract has switched to Meinl.
Not as big a name as the other two but an example of another long-time Sabian endorsee switching camps.

I guess it could just be more artists switching brands in general, not neccessarily anything against Sabian.
Now that I think of it, there may have been a recent thread suggesting the same about Zildjian....

JimmyM

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I noticed Jay Postones from Tesseract has switched to Meinl.
Not as big a name as the other two but an example of another long-time Sabian endorsee switching camps.

I guess it could just be more artists switching brands in general, not neccessarily anything against Sabian.
Now that I think of it, there may have been a recent thread suggesting the same about Zildjian....
Some folks like to switch gear often, some may have a better deal with a new company, and some may have a friend or relative who works at a different company. Like Chad Smith…his brother works for Paiste’s US distributor.

At any rate, I don’t worry about it. Endorsers do help sell gear but I still use what I use regardless.

DrummBumm89

Reaction score
When I met him he was a very nice guy. Glad to see he's still doing well.
Many metal guys are playing darker cymbals since everything's miked on stage anyways (Sans manhole cover rides still).
Tomas Haake's playing Artisans with Meshugga, Bittner's playing K's aswell with Shadows Fall. There's hundreds more but that's what I thought of off the top of my head.
I do wonder if Sabian being in Canada effected US Endorsee's at all and motivated a switch during the pandemic. Last I was aware Kollias was with Meinl however.

ppfd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
George is a great all around drummer. He gets pinged as a death metal drummer a lot
That said, he really talked up Sabain.

waterdrummer

Reaction score
Many of you have probably heard by now (or not), but for those of you who haven't, after a couple Instagram posts where he confirmed a change in cymbal endorsements the cat's officially out of the bag. As a Zildjian fan myself this is somewhat big news, not to mention probably a pretty decent catch for Zildjian on their end, what with recently having some of their other long term artists jump ship themselves. Most interesting thing to note is that he seems to be playing largely the darker K and K Custom models which is seems to be a bit of a unique choice for drummers in his genre but to each their own obviously.
View attachment 593456
Edit: since it's somewhat obscured in the image here's his full setup:
My current live set up:
A Mega Bell Ride 21” (right)
A Mega Bell Ride 21” (Left)
K Mastersound Hi Hat 14”
K Dark Crash Thin 18”
K Sweet Crash 18”
K Custom Dark Crash 19”
K Cluster Crash 20”
A Custom Splash 6”
A Custom Splash 8”
K Splash 8”
A Special Recording Hi Hat 12”
A Custom Mastersound Hi Hat 13”
A China High 16”
K Custom Dark China 17”
K Custom Hybrid China 19”
A Custom China 20”

This is great news for Zildjian enthusiast and those contemplating to get Zildjian or not.

Black Label

Reaction score
Many metal guys are playing darker cymbals since everything's miked on stage anyways (Sans manhole cover rides still).
Tomas Haake's playing Artisans with Meshugga, Bittner's playing K's aswell with Shadows Fall. There's hundreds more but that's what I thought of off the top of my head.
I do wonder if Sabian being in Canada effected US Endorsee's at all and motivated a switch during the pandemic. Last I was aware Kollias was with Meinl however.
yep, also Elroy Casagrande from Sepultura playing Paiste 602s.

HDrays1

Reaction score
I just saw Tony Royster Jr. went back to Sabian a month or two ago. I'm curios what that situation was all about. Zildjian to Sabian, back to Zildjian, back to Sabian.
FR, I noticed that too. I'm honestly surprised that they let him jump ship that quickly, usually when artists sign endorsements or with a sponsor it's to use the product for at least a little while. I don't see him on the Sabian website though so it could be he's just experimenting with different stuff for a bit.

HDrays1

Reaction score
If he was ever with Meinl it would've had to be pre 2004, as he initially made a post saying he was dissolving an 18 year partnership with Sabian.

HDrays1

Reaction score
With him having a signature stick with Vic Firth it would seem a switch wouldn't be necessary seeing as they are both under the same roof technically but not completely out of the question. Aaron Spears had a Vic sig stick and then went over to Zildjian sticks. I don't know what changed between the two models though.

To bring it back to cymbals a little, his switch isn't too surprising, again because of the Vic connection, I would assume he has a great working relation with some of the Vic people that transitioned over to Zildjian, so with this move, he has one less call to make on any gear issues he might have.
Yeah that connection could've been it, I keep forgetting that Vic and Zil are now under the same company lol so you're right, probably won't get a signature stick, at least not right away.

kevinyarger

Reaction score
FR, I noticed that too. I'm honestly surprised that they let him jump ship that quickly, usually when artists sign endorsements or with a sponsor it's to use the product for at least a little while. I don't see him on the Sabian website though so it could be he's just experimenting with different stuff for a bit.
I had to do some digging via Instagram. Tony Royster never made a post about it other than he started slipping a #sabiancymbals in his posts but Sabian did announce it via their Instagram page.

I don’t remember where I read/heard this but at one point years ago that if you left Zildjian for another company they wouldn’t bring you back on the roster if you changed your mind. I feel like that was during Armand’s days but I could be totally making this up in my head. Royster Jr. is the only artist I’ve seen come back to Zildjian after leaving them.