So, how good are these snares? Let’s hear all opinions… Gretsch Bell Brass

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I may be bringing this home today. Some cash, and my refurbed LM402 and my Classic Alloy N&C for a trade.

It’s new.

See, this is why it’s dangerous having a drum shop two miles from home. ;-)

AC94D34D-9F31-468B-B192-CF3C3F32233D.jpeg

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I picked up a b-stock one recently, and it's very quickly become my favorite rock snare. The best way for me to describe is that it sounds like a processed modern rock snare drum, acoustic in the room.

Low-end gut punch with every hit, even when tuned up. Tons of crack. Can go VERY loud, but surprisingly sensitive at lower volumes (the 42-strand snares help)

hefty

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great drum. Mine's not going anywhere. Although honestly, it often doesn't go anywhere out of my house due to its weight (and my laziness). At some point it will see the light of day again though for sure.

Treviso1

DFO Star
Reaction score
That's a gorgeous drum, Dan! Give it a little time because I know you like the drier sound of Aluminum drums in general over brass or bronze. A cast bronze drum is another animal altogether. I think that you will come to love this drum. I have several of them and would never sell them. They really are my "go to" snare drums these days.

shiek_yerbouti

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Congratulations! If I could I definitely would get one myself. They sound great in all the demos!

tapotti

Reaction score
I just picked up this same snare recently! Enjoy.

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’ve had mine for a few months now, it’s got the brass timbre of a Black Beauty but with more headroom, punch and bottom end. The bottom end gut punch actually reminds me of my Jenkins-Martin snare.

VintageUSA

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've owned a number of Gretsch USA snare drums.
I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.
My favorite = model 4169B
Bronze 6.5X14, new micro throw, 20 lugs, 42 wires........awesome snare.

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought one this past May at the Chicago drum show. I used it a week or so ago for the first time and was quite impressed. I would have preferred that it have the new style microsensitive throw but the lightning works fine.
I havent tried a direct comparison with my Duluth build up. Tbe Gretsch is 3 mm thick with regular zinc alloy DC hoops while the Duluth has a 5mm shell and the cast bronze hoops. Both soumd impressive.

Here it is in action...

Six-Ply

Reaction score
These sound great. I had one for a short while. Hate the strainer on them, but they sound wonderful!
The Tama Linear Strainer fits on the buttplate side. So you get the Tama strainer on one side with the Lightning strainer on the other. Makes the drum easier to set up and you now have 2 options for turning the wires off.