So I got a Direct Drive double pedal! Post your experiences with one!

lrod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since I pretty much changed my whole setup, I decided to throw aside the Offset pedals and try going back to a standard double pedal setup. With the rack, I've discovered more room and the ability to pretty much accommodate any change. I've wanted to try a direct drive pedal for a while and now was the chance. I picked up the Gibraltar G-class direct drive pedals on Amazon. They were at a "only 1 in stock" blowout price and I saved $130. Not bad for Gibraltars top of the line pedals. Anyways, I set them up today, dialed them in and played them for a bit. All I ever read is how different they are to a chain drive pedal and how people have to get used to them. I felt no difference except for the rigidity of the rebound due to the fact that it has zero slack. I also noticed how much faster they are and how you can more precisely control it. But overall I felt totally comfortable right off the bat with those differences! I wouldn't even call them differences, more like improvements! I do feel weird though not being centered on the kit like I was with the Offset pedal. That's gonna take some adjustments and time to get comfortable. That's another story though unrelated to the Direct Drive feel. I play heel up but don't know if that makes a difference with regards to the fact that it feels normal to me. I'd like to know what experiences others have had when transitioning to a Direct drive! Here is a picture of what I got as soon as I installed it (I installed my Ahead round felt beaters instead of the factory 2 sided ones):
IMG_20200811_200035.jpg

Last edited:

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have never really liked a direct drive pedal because of the lack of power behind the stroke until I tried the Tama Dyna-Sync which has power in spades AND is light and fast. I’ve owned an Axis, played a Trick and the Pearl DD. Very light and fast but lacked power which resulted in a weak bass drum sound.

I am relatively new to a double pedal and I love it. Takes me back as I am practicing like when I was a teenager.

EFA9FB7C-7C52-4B6C-84E5-455896B045B0.jpeg

Old PIT Guy

Reaction score
I grew up with speed kings, suffering through the coat hanger linkage repairs and oily hardware case from drizzling 3in1 on them constantly. When I switched over to chain drives it didn't take long to make the adjustment. I don't recall thinking it was faster or slower, just different. I still believe any quality made pedal, regardless of the linkage, is a very small variable in how well your feet develop. I've said it before but after watching Virgil Donati perform on DW 5000 single chain pedals the idea of a pedal doing much for my technique vanished. As long it's well made and maintained I'm good.

MrYikes

Reaction score
I wasn't smart enough to understand that the leather strap was stretching and ready to break on my Rogers pedal. It broke on a Friday night. On Saturday I bought my Ghost pedal. I noticed how ultra smooth it was immediately and had no problems making the change. Recently I bought a cheap GP pedal ($18 new) chain drive. The power was incredible, then I got a Mapex chain and it had the same power. I have the Rogers pedal on the Rogers kit because, well, just because. I have the Mapex on the nested kit and the Gp on the suitcase kit.
I really would like to try a double pedal, but I am not willing to put out the bucks for the top of the line.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have never really liked a direct drive pedal because of the lack of power behind the stroke until I tried the Tama Dyna-Sync which has power in spades AND is light and fast. I’ve owned an Axis, played a Trick and the Pearl DD. Very light and fast but lacked power which resulted in a weak bass drum sound.

I am relatively new to a double pedal and I love it. Takes me back as I am practicing like when I was a teenager.

View attachment 455200
I'm wondering how the Direct drives would lack in power vs. Chain or strap drives? Not the Dyna sync but the other ones you mentioned. Based on what I've analyzed and what I have adjusted so far, it seems that the adjustments are what determine the power and not necessarily the drive system. Beater angle/height, adjustment of the spring, footboard height, weights on the beater etc..
These are the things that I think would correlate to power output. At least comparing my new pedal to my old pedals, I feel the same power or more. I wonder what the Dyna sync has that would make the other pedals you tried feel less powerful on the stroke? Could it have been adjustments maybe?

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it is:

radius of contact point to axle. Small radius= quicker, less power. Large radius=slower, more power.
I'm wondering how the Direct drives would lack in power vs. Chain or strap drives
What MrYikes said.

The Axis I had had no acceleration because of the short radius. Very light, very fast but no weight behind the stroke apart from your foot. Bass drum went “ding” instead of “BOOM”. Different beaters or weights helped a little but it was minor. I totally understand metal drummers using them for super fast playing with triggered bass drums where power is not needed or jazz players who play heel down real soft. They are nice pedals but I needed more power.

Matched Gripper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I am relatively new to a double pedal and I love it. Takes me back as I am practicing like when I was a I have never really liked a direct drive pedal because of the lack of power behind the stroke until I tried the Tama Dyna-Sync which has power in spades AND is light and fast. I’ve owned an Axis, played a Trick and the Pearl DD. Very light and fast but lacked power which resulted in a weak bass drum sound.

View attachment 455200
Ain’t it great to know that there are things you can still do like when you were a teenager!

lrod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What MrYikes said.

The Axis I had had no acceleration because of the short radius. Very light, very fast but no weight behind the stroke apart from your foot. Bass drum went “ding” instead of “BOOM”. Different beaters or weights helped a little but it was minor. I totally understand metal drummers using them for super fast playing with triggered bass drums where power is not needed or jazz players who play heel down real soft. They are nice pedals but I needed more power.
Got it! I was between the Trick & Yamaha's but these Gibraltar's showed up and I couldn't say no for the price paid. And so far I like them so I'm happy I got them and not the others that might have lacked in power. These are super heavy overall which I think plays a role in that.

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ain’t it great to know that there are things you can still do like when you were a teenager!
Yes it is! It’s good to feel like a beginner and take on new challenges. My gigs don’t call for a double pedal but I’m spending 1-3 hrs a day behind the kit just practicing. An hour passes like 5 minutes!

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Here is my new to me DW MDD.

I just love the Direct Drive feel and had the opportunity to buy this for a steal price due to Covid.

If it wasn’t this, it was either the Yamaha FP9500D and DFP9500D or their new FP9

4BA951EF-47E1-41FF-9A36-659E027DB735.jpeg

506BB336-2107-46F9-9128-37DB0CC73CC2.jpeg

Phantomlimb777

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve been using an Axis A21 for about 8 months, and I really like it. I had A longboards in the past, and they didn’t have enough power, these do.

phdamage

Reaction score
i bought a pearl direct drive double pedal after borrowing one for a show when i forgot my dw 5000. was slightly horrified when i saw how much they were, but found a wild deal on ebay. took some getting used to for sure but feels faster and easier to play fast, if you need that kinda thing. still have chain dw and camco pedals i use once in a while, but feel a lot tighter with the direct drive

pgm554

Reaction score
I prefer chain as the difference is like between an oak stick and a hickory.
More give in the chain.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've been using Axis pedals for years. I've never had any issues with power - it's a matter of of how you set up the pedal (long throw/45 degree beater angles help a lot). I've sent them in for refurbs (bearings) at maybe 10 or 12 year intervals and have been delighted with the quality of service. The Trick is a very built pedal as well, but I prefer the Axis.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a Yamaha 8500d direct drive double pedal a couple years ago . I have not used it on the gig yet , but practice with it on my Yamaha e-kit . This particular pedal is extremely smooth and responsive . I think Yamaha bass drum pedals are very underrated .

KillinBill66

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What MrYikes said.

Totally agree with this. I had a fun experiment with an Axis pedal. But the power just wasn't cutting it. Compared to my DW 5000, it wasnt even close. And I messed around with the settings a lot before selling it.