So I pretty much hate Dream Theater....

papajo2

Reaction score
I listened to the 1st video for about 5 minutes and heard a very weak attempt at a Zappa imitation, except there's no creativity, humor or heart to it like Frank had. Boring!
Ain't it great that someone made up their mind in a 5 minute video "clip" of DT, a 27 year old band. Yeah, you got it right, (not), they put lots of heart and sole into the music. I know beacause I listen to the music and know the band from a fan stance. Hey, it's a free world (almost), anyone can have a different opinion. :D
Well, I took your comment to heart and watched all the audition videos, and even downloaded some of DT's stuff and gave it a listen.....I feel refreshed after my nap. I'm sorry, but I still don't care for the pomposity and drivel I heard. Nothing personal to you, we all have our taste in music.

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
according to Episode 3... its Magini

Yep. Pretty cool to watch his reaction to the news. It's "the call" that probably most of us daydream about, or used to at least. Great set of videos and good for him.

5 Style

DFO Star
Reaction score
Damn... gonna have to watch this new one too! And I don't even like DT (OK, most of us here don't seem to). I'm drawn to watching these but I do agree that the way that they edit these things leaves very little for those of us that are watching it to go by. I don't even feel that I have a right to an opinion here as the clips that the have of each one of these guys playing aren't nearly long enough to make any sort of judgement.

AaronLatos

spang spang a lang
Reaction score
Yep!

Very cool to get an inside look at the process of an audition for a "name band" like that. I know that's probably not how most auditions go (who else would have those 7 guys trying out?!?!), but it was very interesting and enlightening. Here you have 7 guys coming in and killing it... all of them could have played the gig, but seeing how personality, vibe, and approach made the difference was cool to say the least.

Also, I wasn't really familiar with Minneman before this. WOAH! I'm going to have to check that guy out. And he really had me smiling the whole time he was playing, too.

Congrats to Mangini. His vibe is going to fit that band really well, and he's obviously a more than capable player.

conorguilfoyle

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I actually thought all the drummer's who auditioned were better musicians than any of the the guys in the band.

Be interesting to reverse the process.

Conor

the_dude

Possibly DFO's Worst Drummer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I enjoyed watching all the auditions although I wish they had shown them more in depth.
It was cool

Never payed any attention to DT before but decided to go buy a best of CD.
So I discovered that I actually like them.
Looking forward to the new release.

chetatkinsdiet

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah, I think this audition is a little more in depth than most. The friends I've had that got gigs with "name" bands simply got contacted and asked to join. The band had seen or heard them, knew they had a great reputation and needed them to start in 4 days. Something like that.

m

Rudy_Ment

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm highly disappointed they didn't audition Ginger Baker. :wink:

homeby5

DFO Star
Reaction score
Vinnie or Steve Smith could walk in that studio and ask "When do I start"?
Yeah, I would love to see one of these guys auditionng for "Vital Information" :icon_smile:

I feel like I really have been under a rock for the last 25yrs. Not only am I ignorant of DT, but I hardly recognized any of the bands that these seven played for (except for TL). Are these seven really the "cream of the crop" in the industry today? Is the chair for these guys really that coveted? If so, I may have to check them out :shock:
10 million sales in 25 yrs is nothing to sneeze at and props to them :occasion5: I guess I just assumed that most big time drummers would not have to do this sort of thing. I understand the personality thing but I just thought that once your at such a high level then your "tryout" days were behind you. Guess not :blackeye:

carl1969

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I love Rush but can't get into Dream Theater. The just don't do it for me, neither does Portnoys playing. Just not my thing. I'd rather listen to Steve Jordan.

Tim Boettcher

Mapex Artist - Owner Kick Prints
Reaction score
I actually thought all the drummer's who auditioned were better musicians than any of the the guys in the band.

Be interesting to reverse the process.

Conor
The musicians in DT are all incredible, and I'm not a big DT fan either.

I think Mangini is, and will be a better fit musically than Portnoy, JMO :occasion5:

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I really liked Portnoy when DT first came out. I have to be honest though, the other guys in the band surpassed him on a technical level years ago and he became the weakest link in the band. With Mangini they'll have the ability to do things on a technical level that Portnoy couldn't dream (no pun intended) of doing.

Congrats to Mike Mangini and I'm very happy for the rest of the DT guys. I can't wait to hear the new album.

Mike