So- is it possible to recreate a 24” Rogers bass drum?

Dumpy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I know Rogers never made a 26” for Bonzo-style
kits, but a 24” would make me a happy dude. The guy that sold me my Rogers kit 33 years ago HAD a 24” and sold it BEFORE I bought the kit. My configuration is a 14, 16, 18, 20”. I know I could survive with the 20” bass; I also know that basically a few places know the secret to cutting CORRECT Rogers bearing edges, I can get the paint for the interior, champagne glass sparkle wrap is attainable and the lugs are being made again, so I am asking is this a fool’s errand or could I get this to go and be happy? I have a 24” Premier marching bass that sounds plenty good with lots of action, albeit a bit rounded out from the sun that I could use; just wouldn’t be the same.

digovii

Reaction score
I've actually seen and heard a couple Rogers 26" bass drums. Thunderous doesn't even begin to describe it. Here is an old listing for a kit with a 26" to check out. Very very rare birds...

As for your initial question, you could reach out to C&C or Q to and see if they could make the shell for you. That 5ply maple/birch is something else!

Dumpy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've actually seen and heard a couple Rogers 26" bass drums. Thunderous doesn't even begin to describe it. Here is an old listing for a kit with a 26" to check out. Very very rare birds...

As for your initial question, you could reach out to C&C or Q to and see if they could make the shell for you. That 5ply maple/birch is something else!
Wow- now I know why I didn’t think they existed!

Who is Q?

C&C is out of Kansas some place, right?

multijd

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would say no. My attempts at recreating a specific sound through a modern build have been largely unsuccessful. The 20” Rogers is a very desirable bass drum. Maybe someone would trade?!

digovii

Reaction score
Wow- now I know why I didn’t think they existed!

Who is Q?

C&C is out of Kansas some place, right?
Q Drum Co. are making some of the finest drums around. Their metal shell snares are quite hot commodities. Their wood and metal kits are out of this world.

and yes! C&C is around the Kansas City area. I believe they make a 5ply shell that would get you fairly close. Bill Cardwell is a bearing edge master and certainly would be able to knock it out of the park.

Dumpy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I would say no. My attempts at recreating a specific sound through a modern build have been largely unsuccessful. The 20” Rogers is a very desirable bass drum. Maybe someone would trade?!
I am not really wanting to get rid of that bass drum. After all, a 20” Rogers bass drum has a thunderous sound that I was satisfied with. Of course I haven’t played that kit in 25 years as it sat unused at my parents house for that long. But I always wondered what the bass drum that I was unable to buy was like.

Dumpy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Q Drum Co. are making some of the finest drums around. Their metal shell snares are quite hot commodities. Their wood and metal kits are out of this world.

and yes! C&C is around the Kansas City area. I believe they make a 5ply shell that would get you fairly close. Bill Cardwell is a bearing edge master and certainly would be able to knock it out of the park.
I will check those options. Thank you!

multijd

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not really wanting to get rid of that bass drum. After all, a 20” Rogers bass drum has a thunderous sound that I was satisfied with. Of course I haven’t played that kit in 25 years as it sat unused at my parents house for that long. But I always wondered what the bass drum that I was unable to buy was like.
I’m sure you know the Jollity Drum Farm.

Reactions: JDA

Ajbambino

Reaction score
I didn't know the 26"ers existed from factory as kicks, but I know there's a bunch of their marching drums that were converted to bass drums (including 28") so that's cool to see they made those unicorn Roger 26" kick drums - probably sound monstrous!

As for a 24" kick, yeah man, they're on eBay, reverb, Craigslist, etc.

I've seen a bunch recently, the hard thing is getting the era and wrap you're looking for and in the condition you're looking for. That, and just the bass drum vs the whole kit

ChrisBabbitt

Reaction score
Rogers actually offered 28"x14" bass drums that were not converted parade drums. In fact, they did not make parade drums in 14" depth.
This is from the '68 catalog.
Rogers 1968_16_0001.jpg

Ajbambino

Reaction score
Rogers actually offered 28"x14" bass drums that were not converted parade drums. In fact, they did not make parade drums in 14" depth.
This is from the '68 catalog.
View attachment 455461
Ah man, that's awesome! I legit had no idea, but that's freaking awesome! I don't see the legs or spurs on the drums in that catalogue though

Ajbambino

Reaction score
Here's my Rogers 26" bass drum. Gretsch had an agreement with Rogers in the early 70's and outsourced any bass drum bigger than 24" with them. This drum sounds amazing and definitely the sound is monstrous!
I've had the pleasure on being behind a 26" Gretsch and they sound just as massive as they look! Albeit, you have to pay big for them

owr

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love this thread. I stubbornly search for a shallow 24" to add to my silver glitter 13/16/20. I'd love a parade drum, 10-12" depth, and have considered having one made up for me from a modern or salvaged shell. Seems most parade drums that come up, rare as is, are always 26" or 28" - both a bit too big for me.