So just why did I sell my new Summit Mahogany snare??? For THIS!

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, Gary just built it for me, and I had also recently purchase an 8X14 George Way Tradition Mahogany and sold that one as well.... and for what? For this bad boy! A 2020 Tama Star Mahogany model with the quilted Sapele outer veneer (7 ply, 6mm shell with 6 ply, 6 mm rings). Tama is pretty non-de script on how many of these the Japanese team made, but the general consensus is 75 world wide or less. They made 50 of the full Mahogany Star kits with 10 coming to the US but the snare was only an option and not a part of the shell pack, so some have speculated that they actually only made 50. I dont really care as I fell in love with the drum the moment I laid eyes on it last year.

I love mahogany (my favorite wood snare shell material) and when I could not find one for sale at a price I was willing to pay, I moved on and had Gary build me my steam bent Summit. As expected, the drum quickly disappeared from the market and that was the end of it. If your wondering are they really all sold, yes... the last one listed from a dealer (in the US) is listed by GC but is actually sold, they have just never updated their site. The one in Spain is still active but who knows what condition it would be in by the time it arrived! So I happily worked with Gary and had him design my wonderful 6X14" and put the Star out of my mind, just another unicorn to dream of.

THEN it all changed when a friend reached out and asked if I was still interested in the drum as he had a lead on one in the secondary market (maybe the very first one to resurface). I jumped at the chance, worked out great price with the seller and had it here a week later. To cover the funds, and to keep from overloading on Mahogany, I quickly listed the two versions I had in my collection and replaced them with this single model.

It sounds even better than I had imagined and that was a tall order. I went from owning NO Star drums ever to having a beautiful collection of three. This has been by design as I've been working through my collection and really focusing on what I want to own and play... and all three of these are on that list and have all replaced several other version with the same shell material.
The last line however is yet to be written... as I WILL be adding another Summit snare drum to my collection, it just won't be Mahogany this time as that is covered right here!

Thanks for the read,
Ward

20210916_221928 copy.jpg

20210916_202936 copy.jpg

20210916_195148 copy.jpg

20210916_221245 copy.jpg

And last (also a late submission) they whole STAR family!

20210916_222115 copy.jpg

Last edited:

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Congratulations on finding a special drum, Ward!
Tama makes really nice stuff. And they like to do a lot of limited runs, which adds to the mystique I think.
I agree with @Cauldronics above -- I have a beech Summit coming now and looking forward to seeing what it sounds like. Gary said it's phenomenal.

sixplymaple

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The three of them look perfect together. One happy family now! Congrats.

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is that the limited 6.5 hammered brass?
Nope, it's the copper version, I got the copper used and it happened to be an early number, so I bought an early number the moment the aluminum came out. Not sure why as it adds absolutely no value to the drum, but as these are permanent parts of the collection, I thought it was just cool to have them both be under 10.

Though I am kinds jonesing for the brass as it completes the set!

Last edited:

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congratulations on finding a special drum, Ward!
Tama makes really nice stuff. And they like to do a lot of limited runs, which adds to the mystique I think.
I agree with @Cauldronics above -- I have a beech Summit coming now and looking forward to seeing what it sounds like. Gary said it's phenomenal.

I'm looking forward to the revues... I will have another Summit and the Beech intrigues me too be sure.