header.nohb.html

So kick this idea around... THE DFO COVER CONTRIBUTION

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, "Contribution" is not my best work here, but just throwing out an idea.... My last gig cancelled today so like everyone else I am sidelined until further notice. So I began thinking ( also not my best skill set by the way), as musicians we all enjoy the process of being creative and entertaining others through our playing. Trying to bring something to the table that is maybe unique or just leaving our own imprint on a song.

Well, since most of us have no public outlet right now, lets enjoy playing for each outer. It's not a contest, just a bunch of drummers sharing and watching each other to see what we can steal from other's playing. We all do it every day anyway so let's just organize the concept. I was thinking that maybe we could agree on 5 or 6 readily available tunes in different styles with no drum track and so we could record out own take for each one that interested us and post them on the boards.

I was thinking a different thread for each song so it would be easy to say "OK, lets see how everyone interpreted this jazz track", or "what was everyone's take on this rock tune?". The different styles idea is simply because not everyone may be into jazz so we could have enough tracks to offer a little bit of everything. Each person could pick the one (or ones) they enjoyed the most and record a cover of it with there own take.

Again, its an opportunity for those of us that do not currently record our self to have a new project to work on in our down time. I for one would love to see how 20 or 30 guys play the exact same song. No wrong or right, just your on take on the same piece of music.

So what do you think... am I an idiot? (WAIT, don't answer that one) .... just trying to create an unifying project we could all work on in our own time and style then share in a single thread for everyone to enjoy. It would not matter the quality of the video or your skill level, it's about the brotherhood and fun of a shared project.

OK, talk among yourself...and yes, I am an idiot. Where could we find the tracks etc...

Ward

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really like this.
Outstanding idea.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Certainly NOT an "idiot"...I also think it is a cool idea...

Of course it just happens to come when my wrists are trashed from doing a heavy project at work and I'm spending my nights with two carpal tunnel braces on....lol.

But I can manage a few quarter notes...haha.

Pick the tunes and set it up.

Ray Dee Oh King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Great idea. If you want a particular backing track that's not available as a drumless track, let me know. I have software that does a fabulous job removing instruments.

dsop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Cool for people that have the ability to not only play their drums at home, but also record them there.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brian Auger did an album with four drummers playing simultaneously (sp), not sure which one, but I think it might be " Befour" . Kinda ahead of its time .

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, it looks like we have some interest..... so lets talk details.

FIRST, ALL OF YOU CAN play along! ANYONE can record on their cell phone an post it to Facebook or you tube, this does NOT require a lot of special gear, just work with what you have. No one is going to give a second thought to the overall production quality if you shoot it on a cell phone, it's all about the fun of sharing our playing and ideas.

Second... lets pick 6 songs that are available without drums... what styles , where do they come from, You Tube? Does someone have some they can send as a file via email? I don't know, I'm making this up as we go. I don't want to rip someone off that will mad if we used their stuff ( like a Dave Weckl music minus one) if it's copy written, or can we? I'm not trying to get into the legality of it all, but to just find some songs with no drums we can all access easy enough to start with. You Tube material would be the most universal accessible for sure. Or a loop collection that we can all access...

Ideas????

RedeyeSPR

Reaction score
I'm interested! Check out karaoke-version.com. You can buy so crazy many songs as long as you don't mind non-original singers. Muting drum tracks is very easy. I use them all the time for cover videos. If anyone want to pick some songs, I can assist with preparing the tracks and adding a click, ect...

Tornado

DFO Star
Reaction score
This would be fun. My family being stuck at home 24x7 kind of puts a damper on my playing though...