So let's talk more about EAD10

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

I've had a couple but honestly, I end up selling them thinking my individual micing will work. Which it does. But man, it is a lot of work. I've been watching some video's on using them as a recording situation and I've been pretty impressed. Call me lazy but it does seem like it would work. I used to use it in a live gig playing situation, now it's more of a recording situation.

This kind of sounds like me asking a cycling forum about eBikes (which I would never do BTW). The only way I'd consider using an eBike was if I just couldn't climb anymore. I met a guy today who 86 on an Orbea eBIke. I could not tell because it looked like a regular road bike until I looked real close.

Anyway, I digress...

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm a _huge_ fan of the EAD10. For any kind of lightweight recording (Instagram / YouTube social media stuff), it's perfect.

For live, it's a little bit trickier, as I'm sure you probably found. In my experience, if you have it loud enough to make a difference, it tends to pick up stuff you don't want in it (guitar / bass). However, it can serve super well as a lightweight trigger interface (like what you'd use the Roland TM-6 for), and it has the killer feature of being able to switch individual pads on and off within a single preset. It's unfortunately universal across all presets, but still super useful. I have it set up that the external footswitch disables the trigger on my snare drum, regardless of the preset I'm in. Since that trigger is often layering something like a tambourine or a clap over my acoustic snare, it's super handy to be able to switch that on + off without having to change to an entirely new preset.

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What is the best way to connect an EAD10 to a mixer? I bought one last year and tried connecting it to a small Harbinger M120 4 channel amp at a practice session and it didn't seem to have the volume or punch I was hoping for. I was in a hurry and just used a single XLR cable to a channel on the amp. I was going to play around with it more but then covid happened and it has been sitting in the box ever since. I'd like to take it back to practice next week but want to make sure I have the right cable or cables and hooking it up correctly.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I am a huge fan of the EAD10 for my own specific needs, which is basically to enhance the practice experience at home. Originally I was just using it as a drum monitor, playing along to recorded background tracks connected to the Aux In input. It allowed me to hear both the drums and the backing tracks at a comfortable level when using a good set of isolation headphones.

This past summer I decided to dive into the recording capabilities of the unit. It is so easy to make basic recordings without multiple microphones, mixers, and other equipment that is typically needed. I've been recording myself as a way to assess my playing. It's been great in terms of monitoring my time and determining whether I am overplaying. My recorded drums sound so good on playback, especially when listening through a good set of headphones. What is even more fun is to record myself playing along to drumless music. I've done a few songs where I've wowed myself on playback. I have no intentions of posting these recordings online or using the EAD10 for more serious recording projects. However, I've come to the point where if it were to break, I would immediately go out and buy a replacement.

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

I've had a couple but honestly, I end up selling them thinking my individual micing will work. Which it does. But man, it is a lot of work. I've been watching some video's on using them as a recording situation and I've been pretty impressed. Call me lazy but it does seem like it would work. I used to use it in a live gig playing situation, now it's more of a recording situation.

This kind of sounds like me asking a cycling forum about eBikes (which I would never do BTW). The only way I'd consider using an eBike was if I just couldn't climb anymore. I met a guy today who 86 on an Orbea eBIke. I could not tell because it looked like a regular road bike until I looked real close.

Anyway, I digress...
I love the eBike.

I found the 10 lacking as pro recording unit as it only multi tracks into two channels. So leaving no after editing available for producers.

I record to social media with the Roland Go interface which is connected to my studio interface’s un-used stereo outputs.

I do loved the 10 for its easy workflow, sounds, and being a trigger interface too.

Last edited:

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have had two of them and returned them both for various reasons (not working properly), but I am willing to give one yet another shot for the quick set up for practice reasons. They should really come out with another updated version that has individual outputs and clean up the output volume issues between all of the different patches that I feel plague the unit. It is such a great idea, however...they just need to clean up a few bugs with it and make it more flexible with the individual outputs. I may just pull the trigger again and just tweak it to death until I have a couple patches that will work for everything I do.

hector48

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had two at one point. Great idea, but I just couldn't get the BD to trigger accurately.
Ended up selling them and going back to a bass drum and overhead mics.
Bass drum sounds more natural with a true bass drum mic.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have had two of them and returned them both for various reasons (not working properly), but I am willing to give one yet another shot for the quick set up for practice reasons. They should really come out with another updated version that has individual outputs and clean up the output volume issues between all of the different patches that I feel plague the unit. It is such a great idea, however...they just need to clean up a few bugs with it and make it more flexible with the individual outputs. I may just pull the trigger again and just tweak it to death until I have a couple patches that will work for everything I do.
+1 I am considering another as well

I have been using a Roland TM-1 with bass and snare trigger and that has worked well for small gigs where I want my bass drum and snare drum sound enhanced . The TM-6 is another option I have been considering as well .

Trilock_Gurtu

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've been very close to ordering one. So, it's very helpful reading everyone's experiences. It sounds like it really comes down to what the users needs are; know it's strengths and weaknesses, decide from there. For me, I like the idea of using it for monitoring in certain live gig situations (or for live mic'ing, small pubs, etc), incorporating some electric pads/triggers, quick/decent recordings, online lessons, etc.

Has anyone tried incorporating it with overheads/other mics? I'd be curious to hear it blended in with a few other mics.

chillybase

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an EAD10 that I use to practice with. I have the bare bones setting with just the unit and no extra triggers. I bought mine used but still in the box. I had a hard time triggering the bass drum at first. I tweaked some settings and I don't really know what I did but it works better now. I also reset the unit twice, it is a computer after all. I used the Bop Kick setting most of the time which seems to blend well with my 22" kick to create a nice focused boom without it lasting too long.

The mic'd snare sound is interesting since it basically sits in the middle of the drum. Without triggering you can get some electronic sounds with the snares tightened, a Big Fat Snare drum donut, and a splash cymbal on top. Even with an Evans drum mute pad, it sounds electronic.

I am a 1 up, 1 down player and it picks up the toms fairly well. I still have trouble with the ride placement, even up high it still cuts through the rest.

jmpd_utoronto

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've spent a bit of time with the EAD10 now and I like it quite a bit. I mostly use the "natural" settings, with a bit of the Beech kick trigger. It's great for getting a solid stereo image of drums that sounds really quite good for how easy it is to setup. For practicing, it's amazing, and it's the easiest way to send people quick demos, if that's a goal, or to send drum tracks where you know whoever is receiving them isn't going to be doing any detailed mixing. (Also great if you need an easy micing solution for smaller venues without any fuss. I've used it a couple of times in a church setting specifically for a live stream, and it's perfect for that sort of thing.)

As someone pointed out, it's not an ideal solution if you're going for a really cohesive recording, as the output *is* only stereo, so whoever is mixing with those tracks can't do things like specifically mix the kick to play nice with the bass, etc. As someone else also noted, if you play a traditional 1u/1d setup, you may have to keep the ride cymbal a little higher than usual, as otherwise it's quite close to the mic, and can be a really dominant sound, especially if the cymbal already has a cutting character.

One thing that it is kind of neat for is for using in addition to a multi-tracked setup, especially if you're wanting to put some sort of unusual character in your drum sound - run the EAD10 with some of those onboard effects, and then mix in that stereo signal to the clean signals from the multi-track recordings.

jmpd_utoronto

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A couple of people have mentioned triggering issues as well - I had a couple of minor issues, but they were related to the unit just coming a bit loose. You just need to snug up the knurled knob every once in a while, and that will probably solve a lot of things.

It's interesting to hear that people are wanting more outputs on the unit. To me that's one of things that makes it great (and probably desireable to the general drumming public) - it's easy. Stereo outputs, no mixing required. As close to plug and play as you're likely to get in a decent-sounding drum micing solution.

chillybase

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your bass drum hoop has an inlay notch then that will cause triggering problems for the kick. You may be able to shim that in some fashion.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If your bass drum hoop has an inlay notch then that will cause triggering problems for the kick. You may be able to shim that in some fashion.
The unit comes with rubber shims if you need to do this. If you bought one these units used, the original owner may not have included them since they look like part of the packaging that people often throw out.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It's interesting to hear that people are wanting more outputs on the unit. To me that's one of things that makes it great (and probably desireable to the general drumming public) - it's easy. Stereo outputs, no mixing required. As close to plug and play as you're likely to get in a decent-sounding drum micing solution.
I would like one more input, preferably for an extra bass drum mic that I could position near the reso head.

Frank Godiva

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You can use a separate trigger for the bd or get away from the bass drum trigger and use the mic unit in different locations for more even pickup of the kit with a separate bass drum mic.

The missing link in a box to add on is the DBX gorack. It adds XLR outs and a way to get creative adding a few more channels in a mini mixer DI box, compressor and anti feedback. I don't like the compression on the EAD or the trigger sounds. Kinda defeats the purpose of an all in one box but it addresses many of the EAD shortcomings.

image.jpeg
image.png
image.png

jakeo

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have an EAD and I know it's easy to use - but it seems pretty limited to me. If you ever think in the future you would want to provide individual drum tracks or record rehearsals etc you're out of luck. You can get an 8 input xlr interface for $500. A couple of 57's and Reaper and you have a strong base which you can add pieces to. Granted it's more dough and definitely more time learning - but you are going down the rabbit hole of recording even with the EAD anyway - so might as well have a more flexible foundation.