So my band is planning a (safe) neighborhood concert during this crisis.

komodobob

DFO Master
Reaction score
The rules, wear a face mask and stay at least 6 ft apart. Bring your own refreshments, a lawn chair and enjoy. This would be at our practice space, the piano player's home and he has a huge backyard, so plenty of room for social distancing.

We plan on playing for 1 hour, maybe 1 1/2 and attendees would be encouraged to make a donation to the coronavirus charity of their choice.

We were thinking on a Friday or Saturday. All we need now is for a nice clear day.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Nice! A couple weeks ago my band did that out on the street. I have a corner lot, and the main facing street is a bike route, so on a Saturday afternoon we just ran an extension cord out my front window, set up facing the bike lane, and played. Got a nice audience, many stopped for a while. We regularly admonished them to keep 6' apart. Lots of folks thanked us for the chance to enjoy some live music.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
It’s a weird time. People are quick to criticize events that seem to be well intentioned.

Beefsurgeon

Reaction score

MntnMan62

Reaction score
That sounds like a great idea. But as someone who lives in a state that has the second highest number of cases in the country, providing people with an excuse to congregate is exactly what the health experts do not want us to do. Simply wearing masks and staying 6 feet apart doesn't cut it. If you were to try and pull this off in NJ you would be not only shut down by the police but probably would receive a fine or worse. We have been told that we could be fined if we simply go out for more than exercise, food or medication. Read Beefsurgeon's article he linked. People all over the country are coming down with covid-19 where they ignored protocols and attended church services, temple services. This is no joke. No matter what you think of Boris Johnson's politics in the UK, he's now in intensive care with covid-19. I'm sorry, the more I type this, the more angy I'm getting that people are so willing to risk other people's lives just because they are bored and want to have some fun. Maybe you should talk to all the people who ignored their parents and went to Florida for Spring Break and now have covid-19 or who came home and gave it to their grandparents who then died from it. Just don't do this. I realize you have good intentions, but that's no longer a good enough excuse. People in this country need to take this seriously and start thinking properly.

Last edited:

chollyred

Reaction score
Around here, they are considering a crowd more than 2 people. Unless you're a family living in the same household, it's considered a misdemeanor and punishable by fine and/or jail time. All the major stores are metering people allowed is and placing markers on the floor to help people maintain a 6 ft distance.

The local cops are enforcing the stay at home rules and stopping people right and left. I'm considered essential and carry two get out of jail letters, surgical masks, and hand sanitizer in my vehicle just in case.

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Why do this now? The rules are don't fukin go anywhere that's not absolutely necessary. At least here in LA. Money raised will be minimal compared to the risks which are anything but. Try for a possible May date. Signed Party Pooper.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Weve been talking about it too. Got enough guys on my street alone to make up a band. And I brought home the PA and a set of drums from work since I can’t have the band over to the warehouse to practice for a while.

MntnMan62

Reaction score
Weve been talking about it too. Got enough guys on my street alone to make up a band. And I brought home the PA and a set of drums from work since I can’t have the band over to the warehouse to practice for a while.
The first clue from your own post that you shouldn't do it is "since I can't have the band over to the warehouse to practice for a while."

komodobob

DFO Master
Reaction score
Lots of good comments / feedback and very much appreciated. Also, one of the trumpet players checked and just today Gov. Cuomo raised the fine to $1000 for any such gathering. Ouch!!! Also got some feedback from a County Sheriff that lives across the street and he said "not a good idea".

With that said, we have decided, for safety sake and our wallets to postpone until The Gov. gives us the OK.

jb111

Reaction score
Glad this was the end result. Hopefully everyone else thinking of doing this will make the same decision.