So, my whole approach with regard to drums and drumming has completely changed...and I'm having the time of my life.

komodobob

DFO Master
Reaction score
So, I stopped playing in a working band back in the early 80's and pretty much got away from playing at all, until I got the call to fill in at my church around 2000. Around that time, or maybe a couple years before, I started collecting vintage drums. It didn't take long and it turned into a real passion,....no....obsession for me.

Like most collectors, I went through a period in my life where I was quite fanatical about it. Pursuing every lead, to the point I was willing to travel two or three hours one way just to look at some drums that may or may not be worth buying. Crazy, right? I think about that now and realize how much of an addiction it had turned into and how much time I had wasted.

Fast forward to about five years ago. I'm standing there and I'm looking at this massive snare drum collection. It finally hits me, I had lost my passion for this. None of this really mattered to me anymore, maybe because I'd been doing it for so long, or because of the other priorities in my life, like my Wife and kids.

It was then that I decided to sell most everything I had and that's just what I did. It took me about 3 1/2 to 4 years, but now the only vintage drums I own are a mid 60's Ludwig Supraphonic and a 70's Acrolite. BTW, the Acrolite might be going down the road as soon as I get the INDe snare drum I just bought from DanRH.

So, the what else is, I'm now playing in a band for the first time in years and like the title says,...I'm having the time of my life. We practice once a week, get an occasional gig and I feel like life is really quite fulfilling. I now have only 3 kits, a low budget for practice with the band, two gigging kits, 5 snare drums and feel that this will serve me well.

So I'm curious, has anyone else gone through this kind of, oh I don't know how to say it,...metamorphosis maybe? I will say this, I find it to be quite liberating, now that I have freed myself from the bondage of hunting down every vintage drum lead within a 100 mile radius. Whew!!!

Last edited:

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I do not own any vintage drum kits anymore. I either sold them or gave them away. I picked up two kits ... both built within the last year.
I don't know exactly why I did this ... but I knew it was time. I just don't have that fire inside for the vintage drum hunt and restoration and anal hardware precision anymore. I also don't accept gigs anymore. Stopped that and focused on building a more useful studio. After spending well over fifty years behind the kits, most of that professionally, I'm just relaxed and enjoying hitting 'em a handful of times a week. It has been very liberating.

Roch

DFO Master
Reaction score
I had somewhat of the same experience, although, my vintage drum collection was very modest..I've recently unloaded most of my stuff after moving to a new home that didn't have as much room..I may flip a kit, but I've no practical space to put another one..
I also stopped fretting about learning new things on the drums..for quite a while I bought every book that I saw recommended and went through them feeling that I needed to learn everything..obviously, I only ended up frustrating myself because I didn't have the time or talent to advance as much as I want to..now, I stick to basic sticking exerises, bass drum exercises, endurance stuff, etc..the type of exercises that will keep me strong and help me be a more consistent time keeper over a 4 hour gig..I've given up trying to learn beats, styles, and grooves that I know now I will never use.. I notice a big difference over the last year since changing things..I've stopped trying so hard and it has made me a better drummer..

vintagemore2000

DFO Star
Reaction score
Bob, I've bought several kits from you, But like you I've sold almost all my kits I have 5 now, Have one leaving very soon. Another one will be listing it verysoon, So i plan on just 3 kits and 10 or so snare drums, I play in a band we play almost every week so every wednesday is practice then the weekends. I'll never like set up and tare down, But I love performing, My two favorite kits are a 1977 Slingerland kit, and My Ludwig stainless steel kit,

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
I was drabbing in vintage in the 90's for a few years but the funds ran out.
And,i spent money else where!
Honestly,it didnt take long! Lol
But fun!
Sold my last vintage kit last yr.

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
Great post, Bob! For me, it’s been a different story. I was kind of losing my passion for drums until I reconnected with an old friend (JoeyBoom). Through him I discovered the CT Drum Show and the vintage drum scene, and that sparked a whole new passion and love of drums and drumming. I have completely retooled my drum and cymbal setup since then and have bought and sold a few kits and snares. I have also started to play in church every Sunday. Most importantly, I have made some really great friends along the way - and you are one of those great friends!

komodobob

DFO Master
Reaction score
Great post, Bob! For me, it’s been a different story. I was kind of losing my passion for drums until I reconnected with an old friend (JoeyBoom). Through him I discovered the CT Drum Show and the vintage drum scene, and that sparked a whole new passion and love of drums and drumming. I have completely retooled my drum and cymbal setup since then and have bought and sold a few kits and snares. I have also started to play in church every Sunday. Most importantly, I have made some really great friends along the way - and you are one of those great friends!
Same here Mark. That's always the highlight for me, going to the shows and getting to catch up with you, Joey and the rest of the regulars.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Unlike most members here, I vegged out on "gear" from 1986 to 2017. Didn't look at anything new and kept my only kit (5 pc) and a spare Ludwig snare. 6 drums - 6 cymbals. What could be easier? My nephew picking up the drums 2 yrs ago ignited something. I helped find him a great kit....and of course....it opened up my eyes to how much gear was out there. Now I'm looking for "neat" gear all the time.....and also play more now than I ever have - 45-75 minutes each day. It's all good and fun. But I realize the extra kits I have accumulated will have to get thinned out in the near future. Want to end up with 3-4 max. Too many cymbals too.

Last edited:

drummerfriend

Reaction score
Yes and no... Just a little differently than yourself.

Went through the gear acquisition stage from about 2012 - 2017 then stopped. I realized that there was no longer anything interesting to me for gear. Not that I had it all, far from it.. Just, what I had was too much but after a while everything began to sound the same in the big picture. Sure, there were nuainces, but in the BIG picture I asked myself why I couldn't make do with what I have.

After some decisions I sold about 50% of it. Now have 3 kits a handful of snares and a handsome cymbal collection. Truth be told, I could probably still sell 50% of what I have and be set.

I also stopped gigging and bands. I play for me and still work on improving my drum skills. After 35 years of gigging, I don't have the desire any longer to play with a band.

Much of this is why I stopped visiting / posting on drum forums. Used to be an active member here for a few years under a diff user name but even the thrill of discussing the instrument has dissipated.

I've since moved on to the exploration of non percussion instruments and have found that to be much more rewarding than drums. Since I have many other instruments I'd still like to learn, I don't envision my drums will resurface at the same level of interest it did for decades.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Reaction score
There was a time Fedex UPS DhL and USPS all had trucks lined up in front of my house, we were all on a first name basis, it was exhausting!
These days that ship has sailed, I must say it was a lot of fun.

Ickybaby

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have been through this loop on many things... drums, ukuleles, fine art, books, records, movie posters.... Ultimately...material things and the pursuit thereof....fill in the cliché.

I find that when I play a lot I don't care about collecting at all. I'm currently in 4 bands that play regularly (3 practices a week and at least 1 gig). Getting older and moving into a studio apartment have helped curb my ambitions towards accumulation.

cashmanbashman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’m still right in it just not with vintage gear. I just agreed to trade a kit due to lack of space and it’s killing me to let it go. I just have no more room without an addition to our house. I have a 5 bedroom home, no kids and a very understanding wife but sometimes enough is enough I guess? It sounds like you realized that and are reaping the benefits.

tommykat1

DFO Star
Reaction score
I feel your pain and enlightenment! I understand your existential crisis! I'm right there!

Major difference is, like you, I'm no longer buying drums, but I can't get the energy to sell the ones I don't want anymore, even though they have great value. I don't want 'em because I don't play 'em, but I just can't stand the buyer/seller dynamic on eBay or anywhere else. So they sit in my showcase, where my musician friends see 'em but don't give a rip. Meh...

Drum Showplace Open.jpg

Drum Showplace With Lights.jpg

Latest posts