So tell me why you love (or hate) Paiste 602's

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Had a set of the reissues for a "Minute" back when they first came out. They sounded great at home and probably would have been great in the studio. They got lost in the mix way too easily live, I sold/traded them for Zildjians. Different strokes and all....

Skyrm

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've always liked the 602's that I've heard. Finally picked up a 20" Medium Flat Ride. Not super versatile, but it does exactly what I expected and wanted. And it does respond well to different styles of sticks.

Vicey

Reaction score
I've always liked the 602's that I've heard. Finally picked up a 20" Medium Flat Ride. Not super versatile, but it does exactly what I expected and wanted. And it does respond well to different styles of sticks.
YES, this! My pre-serial 602 only sounds really good with maple sticks. They are the most stick=sensitive cymbals I've played.

Hwy61

Reaction score
YES, this! My pre-serial 602 only sounds really good with maple sticks. They are the most stick=sensitive cymbals I've played.
I was looking for a crash ride and someone in a forum recommended a 602 20” medium ride. So, I got one and it works very well in that application.

cornelius

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My GoTo's for cymbals are Paiste 2002's for my hats, crash and ride cymbals live. I picked a pair of 14" SE 602 hats and I love them. They're a bit "softer" but are very musical. So, I've been thinkin'...

I'd like to get some 602 crash's. I'm happy with my 22" 2002 ride. I also use my trusty 21" Raw Bell ride in my studio and rehearsal.

Thoughts?
If you're using 2002 crashes, my guess is trying out 602 Mediums for crashes. I really like 602 crashes but they taper down pretty thin towards the edge - live I found them a little too quiet.

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Absolutely love the reissued 602's! I stumbled into a 20" medium ride as well as 16" & 18" thin crashes from the original re-release of the series that a local Guitar Center was blowing out 8-9 years ago. Up until then I had only heard a handful of them over the years, but these really appealed to me. They are "perfect" sounding cymbals, completely balanced tonally. Eventually I acquired some of the larger sizes (20" thin crash, 24" ride, etc.) and they worked extremely well with the top 40 country bands I was playing with. They even work well with my classic rock band in smaller venues where I need to keep my volume in check.

IMO the Signatures are the logical extension of the 602's for higher volume situations. They take the "perfect" thing to another level, and were my introduction to Paiste in the early 90's.

I agree. Recently been using Sigs with a post rock project I am doing after using 602's/ME and Masters for years. They are like the more robust version of the 602 sound.

I don't think I have ever posted a sample of my playing on this forum, but here's a new one using all Sigs and Ludwig CM's. Might not be everyone's cup (its instrumental prog/post rock) but you can hear the cymbals and drums clearly.

14" Sig Medium hats
22" Sig Mellow Ride
18" Sig Mellow Crash
19" Sig Power Crash
20" Sig Power Crash
18" Sig China
8" & 10" Sig DE Splashes

Last edited:

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
602s are wonderful cymbals , very crystalline and pure . They are quick and have that wonderful Paiste shimmer . I used a reissue set of 602s as my main gig cymbals since they came out . I have started to gravitate more to cymbals that are lower pitched ( Traditionals, Masters and 602 Modern Essentials) and recently sold off all my classic sound 602s . This is no slight against 602s it is just my tastes have changed and I prefer a different sound now .

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have started to gravitate more to cymbals that are lower pitched ( Traditionals, Masters and 602 Modern Essentials) and recently sold off all my classic sound 602s .

I have a full set (with extras) of Masters. Love those. Very interesting feel and sounds. My stick kinda sinks into them.

fusseltier

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got over a dozen 2002s and one 602. It does have a great sound but I wouldn't switch to all 602.

DavedrumsTX

Reaction score
My GoTo's for cymbals are Paiste 2002's for my hats, crash and ride cymbals live. I picked a pair of 14" SE 602 hats and I love them. They're a bit "softer" but are very musical. So, I've been thinkin'...

I'd like to get some 602 crash's. I'm happy with my 22" 2002 ride. I also use my trusty 21" Raw Bell ride in my studio and rehearsal.

Thoughts?
I am like you. 2002s are my live “go to’s” these days. I just add a 19” 602 crash and I love it. It’s perfect for wash riding. I have my eyes on some 602 15” SE hi hats. I also want a 20” thin.
Thank you for your post!

nickdrum1234

Reaction score
I've gone through three sets of 602's and another set of Modern Essentials.
I just can't force myself to like them.
Even today, I have a set of 15 Medium hats with a SE bottom (extra).
I don't like playing them.
They are like the rides and crashes ... they are stiff, way too direct, almost a one note sound.
There's really no depth of character.
I listened to some members here and purchased a good collection of older models (60s and such).
Man oh man, they genuinely do not sound or feel good.
I've got a 19 medium light weight one from WAY back that sounds just as bad as the new 19 I didn't like.
Not a fan ... at all.

Now, the ME's are a different animal entirely.
Those have the potential to be really nice.
Unfortunately, they suffer from this bizarre thing where they are sonically muted ... like they have cotton balls all over them.
They never quite open up.
The lack is very apparant when you put one on a stand next to a handful of other nicely hammered examples from other lines.
They just don't hold up to my ears.
And that is a shame.
Genuine lost potential.
If your 19” medium light crash is a pre-serial 602 and you hate it, I’d be interested if you decide to sell it. Thank you

itsjjp

Reaction score
My OCD led me down a path to where I had a terrific sounding, full set of vintage "pre-serial" Fo602 cymbals for about a year. Fabulous cymbals with variation of sound consistent with A. Zildjian and other B20 pies of the day. It took me 3 tries to find the right 16" crash. I cracked one of my two 18s, and between that and the number of cracked ones I would spot on the market, I decided to sell em all. That is the only cymbal I have ever cracked. Imo, the vintage ones are a little too brittle. Am I a heavy hitter? I can be, but I like to think I know how to hit a cymbal and that there's a limit to how much one can extract out of any cymbal, or acoustic drum of course, and I like to think I know that pressure point well enough to where cymbals should not crack on me even when I'm rocking out. Played 10x as many Zildjians and never cracked a single one.

Phildrummer

Reaction score
I use only 602s. Rock, punk, jazz, soul, stage or studio regardless. Clear, precise, predictable, warm and cristalline at the same time.. a truly unique sound. Hat 14" SE and 18" Thin Crash are benchmarks of their own. (18" Heavy for loud play)

I've tried Sig crashes, but they did not mix well with the 602s. Only MEs do. The ME Ride 22" is unparalleled mix of dark, complex, ping/wash and still 602-clear. At first it seemed to lack volume when played loud, but heard from audience or recorded it actually projects quite well. Last not least, the ME 22" China is the best swish I never heard. The crown over all other things, for both tone and volume. Ridiculously expensive and probably a future collectible.

Paistekid

Reaction score
I like them cause I can buy one without hearing it and know I'll be getting a good cymbal.
Wish I could say the same about other manufacturers.

I like the ME's more, some folks like the standard models more.

Didn't John Densmore use a 602 ride on "riders on the storm" ? that's a great classic sound in context of the track.

And while we're here. I have a 602 20" medium ride for trade/sale in my ads.
Consistency, consistency. Consistency! This made up for the "maddening" price! Other brands are great too but they LACK consistency!

michaelg

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've tried Sig crashes, but they did not mix well with the 602s. Only MEs do. The ME Ride 22" is unparalleled mix of dark, complex, ping/wash and still 602-clear. At first it seemed to lack volume when played loud, but heard from audience or recorded it actually projects quite well. Last not least, the ME 22" China is the best swish I never heard. The crown over all other things, for both tone and volume. Ridiculously expensive and probably a future collectible.
Initially I thought that a bit with the ME's as well. They seemed to lack just a tad of volume but then out front they do indeed project and just sit beautifully in live or recorded mixes.
When I know my Paiste trad's will struggle with volume and cut in certain situations, ME's will do it and not sound a million miles away from the trads.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
I like the sounds they make when I play them. They record wonderfully.

benzaco

Reaction score

Thoughts?
I used to be an avid A Zildjian guy, but lost them all in a tragic boating accident (along with all my guns). I have since been collecting and many pre-serial # 602’s as I can find. I just love ‘em, as I’m pretty much Chicago blues and jazz now. SO, to the peeps who have ‘em and don’t like ‘em… give me a call!

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
602 they're like.... every other Paiste line
Appear as a traditional cymbal ...but.... consistent.. consistent...con.sis.tent.ly.. different

@benzaco
I have (left) 5 preserial (18 cr, 19 ride, 18 china (not ps 1978 SSS) , 3 14s (2 (one perfect) and 1 SE bottom
I think - all have varying stable body work damage- no major decrease on sound (except only the deep split entry on the 18 is sorta sour remedied by a sizzle split rivet) you would love and use them all - Nice to meet you- Joe. I don't have them advertised so currently not for sale just wanted to say hello.

Last edited:

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've only had a few pre-serial Paiste 602's. A medium 20" ride and one set of 14 hats were just too vanilla for me. They sounded pretty much like 60's Zildjians.
It took me a year to sell the 20" ride for $120. Apparently, almost no one else wanted it either. About the most "unwanted" cymbal I've ever had. Haven't gone back since for another taste.

Coolvan

Reaction score
I have in my collection an old 602 from the 1960s. It is my main ride. I Play mainly blues and jazz and Top-40 cover stuff. It’s a medium ride 20 inch and it is kind of crashable. I love that thing! Sitting next to it I have a modern 2002 20“ crash it’s really awesome and it sounds great with the 602, and it makes a nice ride as well. I’m usually playing with 7A or 8A sticks, nothing heavy. On my main hi hat pair I have a recent 602 thin 14 inch top, this came out before the Modern Essentials so it’s the traditional Hammering and lathing. And on the bottom I have a 2002 from the 1980s, medium. Sometimes I switch that around with the Sabian AA heavy 14 inch bottom. It makes for a really high-pitched hi hat sound.