So, this sucks but yeah...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MntnMan62

Reaction score
No. It wasn't the chat issue. But the perception is that while politics are not allowed on the site, that rule doesn't necessarily apply to all politics. It seems some politics is given more slack than other politics. That's the perception anyway. I suspect there will be more than just Tmcfour and dirtysicks.

Old PIT Guy

Reaction score
It would take a fire watch approach to moderation to prevent current affairs topics from bubbling up between partisans, and even if you did that there would still be what falls through the cracks to irritate people. And you can't reasonably expect moderators to spend that much time on it.

I’ve been on and off the internet since Prodigy chat rooms, and it’s my experience that there are always a few persistent agitators who make their views known through clever by half methods that skirt the rules. This has has the same effect as if they’d posted partisan opinions.

From weaponizing the Like feature to promote like-minded posters, to positioning themselves as above any contention by speaking to the rules and breaking them in practically the same breath, there’s always a small core of manipulative posters like this in any group.

Thing is, as it’s only clever by half, their targets are well aware of it, as is their intent, and as time wears on their targets inevitably suspect there’s a camaraderie with moderators. The only effective means I’ve seen of dealing with this type of forum cancer is engaging the clever agitators privately and imploring them to stop by impressing upon them that if they don't they'll be permanently banned.

If this doesn't happen, and the behavior continues, you have your camaraderie answer.

MrYikes

Reaction score
Even though I am for politician x and applaud his principles and tactics and stand against the vile things politician y is doing, I will never push them in your face like these other posters because I know it is against the rules of this forum.

BTW, I have no idea what is happening with TMCFOUR or others, but I do wish he would stay around.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Oh man, I hate when this happens. I also have no clue...I’ve been a little busy.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This is not a public forum but a privately owned opportunity to participate. And sadly it is at the moment reflecting our society at large in the interaction of the board members. Many seem unable to stay on topic , focused and civil for long.

Will miss you Tmcfour, hope you are well and back soon. Take care and be safe out there.

Ward

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have been a member for almost 10 years now. I have seen a change in the tone of the board over those years. Sad to say, it has not been for the better. A big change was when Chris sold the forum. I thought Chris was pretty even handed. I can't say the same since Ben took over. There is clearly a conservative bias in the way things are moderated here. I think it is easy to see that the majority of posting members lean that way. Titus and I used to try to sway threads to get the moderators to follow the two simple rules. No Politics and No Religion but it was useless so I took a break. I didn't even log in for a year or so. Then I started lurking. I eventually decided to start posting but made a conscious decision to stay out of heated threads, which I have stuck to. In that time I have witnessed many threads that go political, usually to the right and either don't look at them or click the report button when I see something over the line. Sometimes it works and sometimes it does nothing.

Unfortunately there is a cast of usual suspects who lean right who post political stuff all the time who seem to almost always get a pass. One of these members constantly harassed our resident cymbal expert here and at Cymbalholic. Which in part caused him to leave DFO. Several Pro drummers have left here entirely or rarely post anymore because of this. I know because I have talked to them about it. The people who lean left don't seem to do this anywhere near that extent but when they start voicing their opinions threads usually get locked or deleted. I don't know if all the mods share the same attitude or just do as they are told since we don't often see who locked or cleaned up a thread. I will say this some of the worst violations have been from Ben. He will often join in or at the very least voice his opinion on the last post as he locks the thread. Here is one example.
ben dfo.jpg

That was so over the top and violated the no politics rule that I just had to save it for posterity.

Many of the people who complained about Dirtysticks "breaking the rules" often post political things and surely never seem to have a problem with the other conservative posts but Dirtysticks was out of line in their eyes.

I don't want to see any politics or religion here but that is not how this place is run. People are allowed to have political or religious signatures and conservative members are allowed far more latitude than liberal members.

Until the moderation follows the rules and is even handed, you will have more members like Dirtysticks and TCMfour leave.

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Too bad. Good guys both. I haven't noticed a lot of politics here. I think I got warned once and I'm pretty conservative.
I place drumming and music WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY above politics which I consider a sham occupation populated by pure crooks...across the board.
But I really like cymbals...

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
I agree with everything thinshell said there. The mods, and Ben especially, have let the people that share their views continue to post all kinds of threatening and biased stuff, usually in coded language, without objection. But as soon as one of us says something about it, whoa buddy that’s political!

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have been a member for almost 10 years now. I have seen a change in the tone of the board over those years. Sad to say, it has not been for the better. A big change was when Chris sold the forum. I thought Chris was pretty even handed. I can't say the same since Ben took over. There is clearly a conservative bias in the way things are moderated here. I think it is easy to see that the majority of posting members lean that way. Titus and I used to try to sway threads to get the moderators to follow the two simple rules. No Politics and No Religion but it was useless so I took a break. I didn't even log in for a year or so. Then I started lurking. I eventually decided to start posting but made a conscious decision to stay out of heated threads, which I have stuck to. In that time I have witnessed many threads that go political, usually to the right and either don't look at them or click the report button when I see something over the line. Sometimes it works and sometimes it does nothing.

Unfortunately there is a cast of usual suspects who lean right who post political stuff all the time who seem to almost always get a pass. One of these members constantly harassed our resident cymbal expert here and at Cymbalholic. Which in part caused him to leave DFO. Several Pro drummers have left here entirely or rarely post anymore because of this. I know because I have talked to them about it. The people who lean left don't seem to do this anywhere near that extent but when they start voicing their opinions threads usually get locked or deleted. I don't know if all the mods share the same attitude or just do as they are told since we don't often see who locked or cleaned up a thread. I will say this some of the worst violations have been from Ben. He will often join in or at the very least voice his opinion on the last post as he locks the thread. Here is one example.
View attachment 445439
That was so over the top and violated the no politics rule that I just had to save it for posterity.

Many of the people who complained about Dirtysticks "breaking the rules" often post political things and surely never seem to have a problem with the other conservative posts but Dirtysticks was out of line in their eyes.

I don't want to see any politics or religion here but that is not how this place is run. People are allowed to have political or religious signatures and conservative members are allowed far more latitude than liberal members.

Until the moderation follows the rules and is even handed, you will have more members like Dirtysticks and TCMfour leave.
Just to put some perspective on this....

I could have *easily* and just as sincerely written this same exact post-exchanging the word “Conservative” for the word “Liberal” and “Ben” for any number of other member’s names...

Which shows the mods are doing a pretty good job of keeping us somewhere in the middle.

Sincerely, all the best to dirtysticks and Tmc...

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
I could have *easily* and just as sincerely written this same exact post-exchanging the word “Conservative” for the word “Liberal” and “Ben” for any number of other member’s names...
But you don’t get to replace Ben for any number of members’ names, because he is the owner and they are not.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
But you don’t get to replace Ben for any number of members’ names, because he is the owner and they are not.
Why....when I offer a respectful attempt at showing a legitimate other side to this complicated coin must you make that the issue?

Regardless of Ben’s ownership-something he posted was used as an example of something “over the line”.

THAT was the point....

Oh, and if anyone here has the RIGHT to post something “over the line” (from your perspective) it would be the owner of the website...

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
Just to put some perspective on this....

Which shows the mods are doing a pretty good job of keeping us somewhere in the middle.

Sincerely, all the best to dirtysticks and Tmc...
Dude. You are one of the worst offenders.

Old PIT Guy

Reaction score
I don't know the cause, only the symptoms. You've got your cough, fever, fatigue and breathing trouble. And then you've got your CAPS, "scare quotes," minced oaths and ellipsis.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Dude. You are one of the worst offenders.
I take that as a compliment (surely your repsonse will be “dude you would...”).

In this day and age where anyone who dares to challenge the manufactured ‘enlightened’ narrative with truth and facts is subject to stoning in the public square a stand needs to be taken....

Status
Not open for further replies.