So....What do we think about Pork Pie drums?

No personal experience,but i,ve heard they are nice people to deal with,have a decent product,and are fairly competitive.

Sonorlite

Forgive him for he knows not what he does.
Reaction score
From the USA ones i've seen/played - haven't tried the squealers, lovely. And i like the lugs. ;)

mydadisjr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Maybe they have gone to a nicer proprietary lug, but I remember PORK PIE being the topic of discussion amongst a few drummer types at a NAMM show a few years past...

The general concensus was...basically just very nice finishes on Keller shells with lots of generic looking Taiwanese hardware on 'em.

Chunkaway

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have a 2007 Pork Pie kit and it's okay. Not great, not terrible, just okay. I have it in a wrapped finish, which is fine, although it doesn't like to hold its tuning for very long. The kit does everything I need it to, it just doesn't have a ton of "character." I have recorded with it, and again it was okay. It had a "modern" sound (the engineer's words). I guess I find the drums to be a bit cold and generic, although I don't have a problem using them live.

I bought a 2008 Ludwig Classic Maple recently, and for me, that is a much more interesting sounding kit. To my ears, the Ludwig has more character or depth to it, if that makes any sense. (I don't want this to come across like I'm describing fine wine or anything.) Basically, when I play the Ludwig I get excited, and I want to keep playing to try to draw new sounds out. When I play the Pork Pie, I enjoy it, but I don't get the same rush.

Would I buy a Pork Pie again? No, probably not. That doesn't mean they are a bad drum set though. Bill is a super nice guy and he comes up with some great finishes. If you want a really custom finish and you like "modern" sounding drums, Pork Pie might be the way to go.

Splat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Played a kit in a studio once. Wasn't that impressed. I think you can do just as well or better with some production kits.

Its a shame PP is lost in the sea of custom bldrs now.They were one of the first along with GMS,N&C,Lang etc who were once revered as the professional alternative to mass produced drums.Now they are fighting to be noticed.

Aqualung

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
mydadisjr said:
Maybe they have gone to a nicer proprietary lug, but I remember PORK PIE being the topic of discussion amongst a few drummer types at a NAMM show a few years past...

The general concensus was...basically just very nice finishes on Keller shells with lots of generic looking Taiwanese hardware on 'em.

BINGO!

Oh, but wait, Bill detamore is the master guru jedi of Bearing edges. :roll:

greggp

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Bill Detamore does wonderful bearing edge work. I would not hesitate to send a drum to him for repair work that I didn't want to do myself.

I will admit that it helps that the shop is about 2 minutes away from my sister's house. She has kindly dropped off and picked up stuff for me in the past.

coastie

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've got a Pork Pie wood snare thats around 12 years old. Its a fine crafted drum and sounds fantastic.
I've never played one of their sets. I can't imagine it would be anything less that great.
I wouldn't hesitate to make the investment in some Pork Pie stuff.

mfryed2112

DFO Star
Reaction score
another assembler, there are many out there. as long as you do nice work with the edges and drilling you can`t go wrong with a keller shell. medicine man custom drums is another keller assembler who sells a great product. the 6x13 medicine man snare i owned was possibly the best sounding snare i have played. keller puts out a great product. when going custom you have to remember one thing, RESALE. you`ll get burned hard.

Sonorlite

Forgive him for he knows not what he does.
Reaction score
mydadisjr said:

Was it definately P/P..? I know a few years back OCDP had the same comments made about their lugs, which they changed.

These are the P/P's - nice and small, too.

http://www.porkpiedr...orangecandy.htm

gezz

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have a 6x14" Cherry Veriticle Ply Snare Drum.. I love it, well made, great edges and quality strainer, BUT!!! it detunes very quickly??? I may buy some "Tightscrews" as its only the rods near to where I play the drum that are loosening.. but I do love the Drum!!!! :)

ARGuy

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sonorlite said:
mydadisjr said:

Was it definately P/P..? I know a few years back OCDP had the same comments made about their lugs, which they changed.

These are the P/P's - nice and small, too.

http://www.porkpiedr...orangecandy.htm

I was wondering the same thing. PP has always had their own lugs, at least on the top of the line sets. And since they've been around since 1987 it seems more likely that any NAMM discussion would have been about a newer company like OCDP.

Aqualung

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
greggp said:
Bill Detamore does wonderful bearing edge work. I would not hesitate to send a drum to him for repair work that I didn't want to do myself.

I will admit that it helps that the shop is about 2 minutes away from my sister's house. She has kindly dropped off and picked up stuff for me in the past.
Out of curiosity, what is so different about his edges? I hear these edge comments everywhere i go. The snare on the VMX kit i work with had edges just as good as his.