So, what have I got here y’all? Hint: Gretsch RB 14x6.5

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have one, 3 ply...but I think mine is 7x14 which is a different model. It came to me with badly damaged wrap (cheap) and I redid it in tangerine.

gkrk

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Got it from a forum member super cheap, needed a throw.
He said it was originally duco
That came from me. When I got it, it was painted over in bright orange. Seemed like there was original blue/silver/blue duco underneath. I sent it to Jim Petty for refinish in 2002; he said the outer ply is gum wood, not maple. The top hoop is/was nickel (chrome? maybe) over brass double-flanged stick chopper. That bottom hoop is a chrome-over-steel stick chopper from a 1970s Buddy Rich Slingerland 4X14 that was totally shot. I got the single-post snare butt/tension unit from John Aldridge when he sold parts for awhile.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I think the audience would be looking at that Drum (not at me or the rest of the band) True Audience Diverter!
RadioActive!!
Let's say Louder than Silver Sparkle is Tangerine
Tangerine goes to 12!
Only have gigged with it once so far. About ten years ago at a large outdoor event. I brought an entire Tangerine set (one of my two) but was told that if I put them up in place of the supplied backline DW set I'd have to let the guy in the band after us use them too. So I opted to use the horribly tuned DW set (sounded good out front but was absolute dog do from the throne) but with my own snare.
On the last note of the first song the brand new Aquarian head split clear across the drum. Down went the Gretsch up went the truly awfully tuned DW snare. Not a great night as I felt like I was playing on cardboard boxes.

Roy sent me a free replacement head for that brand new American Vintage head that had lasted just one song. Since then the Tangerines haven't made it out much, although hope springs eternal once this covid crap is behind us.

I was actually going to bring out the Tangerines for my gig this coming Saturday, but it was just cancelled.

Last edited:
Reactions: JDA

pedro navahas

DFO Master
Reaction score
That came from me. When I got it, it was painted over in bright orange. Seemed like there was original blue/silver/blue duco underneath. I sent it to Jim Petty for refinish in 2002; he said the outer ply is gum wood, not maple. The top hoop is/was nickel (chrome? maybe) over brass double-flanged stick chopper. That bottom hoop is a chrome-over-steel stick chopper from a 1970s Buddy Rich Slingerland 4X14 that was totally shot. I got the single-post snare butt/tension unit from John Aldridge when he sold parts for awhile.

Ahh, ok!
Couldn’t remember who, thanks again!
I thought it might be gum , it looks good but I’ll probably do a lacquer finish.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a red sparkle RB with grey paint inside. Great snare. I have stick chopper rims on it......

thebeebe5

DFO Master
Reaction score
Figured Spongebob would weigh in.

I have three of them, but only my blue sparkle is a 3 ply like this one, Dan. Clear interior sometimes had date stamps inside. See anything...?

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Figured Spongebob would weigh in.

I have three of them, but only my blue sparkle is a 3 ply like this one, Dan. Clear interior sometimes had date stamps inside. See anything...?
Don’t know. I’m now about 1,000 miles from the drum. Thanks though!