So what is the typical length of your gig?

snappy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
10, 15 or 20 minute breaks?
Yikes.
I like mingling with the audience and 30 minute breaks fly by....

Last edited:

On the one

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I agree also depends on the venue/customer. I play every 3rd Friday of the month for 4 hrs 2 breaks. I ve done a backyard party it was only 30 minutes. Weddings, Anniversaries, Company parties, etc, all vary. We done a 5 song dinner set then the couple had a DJ.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
10, 15 or 20 minute breaks?
Yikes.
I like mingling with the audience and 30 minute breaks fly by....
I agree. Those 15 minutes are gone in a flash. It seems barely enough time to get a drink and use the restroom, especially if the place is really packed. One place we play the bartenders are sticklers about short breaks because the crowd will leave if the band takes too long a break. So, we take more breaks than we normally do, just happen to be shorter too.

gwbasley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
As a rule 7 to 10 playing, either 2 or 3, 45 min sets. Some of these private engagements will take up 45min to 1 hr with an awards or "backslapping" ceremony. We also usually get served a meal, so about half the time we end up only doing 2 sets.

Stickclick

Reaction score
Usually it is 3 - 45 minute sets with 15 minute breaks. We might play longer if we are having fun and the audience is liking it.

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
3 hours ...... first set, 1 hour ...... then 2x 15 minute break, 45 minute set.

At least, that was the play until this winter ........ no music at the venue over Dec and Jan, and now the owner is offering to "let us play" in Feb for dinner and tips. All this after nine years of steady monthly gigs at this venue. I fear for the future ......... !

Mike

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don't want to talk about the money. LOL

We play a 2 hour gig with no break; 2 1/2 to 3 hours with one break 15 to 20 minutes. A four hour gig, usually 15 minutes after the first hour then 15 minutes for every 45 minutes of playing after that or that's the way it was/should be. Plus it was mandated in the old days by the unions. Most long gigs now days are three hours.

The problem with a lot of band leaders is they are afraid people will leave during the break. Well, you need to get a better band. Some times it depends on the age group; seniors are ready to go home after 3 hours. For the young, they like to bar hop so they can get more beer. For the middle age to early senior people it depends on how many singles are there of the o posit sex. So you may want to adjust the break time a little to hold a crowd. Keep them while they are interested, they say.

BTW: Tell your trumpet player he needs to practice more; I played 25 years of Big Band style music and our trumpet player, in his 70's and 80's had two heart surgeries and never had a problem with his lips. Every day he practiced at least 15 minute minimum sessions. Normally playing scales or a new song. EVERY DAY! and he ran and walked about two miles every morning.

sherm

Last edited:

moodman

Lone Wolf
Reaction score
3 or 4, 45min sets, 15 minute breaks.
We used to work harder, 5 or 6 hours, 5 or 6 nights a week, lots of stage time. I'm never ready to quit after 3 sets, those days are gone.

Trilock_Gurtu

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Cover gigs. These days its usually three, 45's (some places are 50's), with breaks being between 30-45 minutes, depending on if they have a DJ, etc. Super chill.

The old days were 4, hour long sets, with 15 minute breaks. My butt hurt.

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
we usually do three sets - depending on the venue our sets are usually an hour long with 30 minute breaks - if there is a lot of energy / patrons the first or second set could be as long as 90 minutes - but we'll still take a 30 minute and do a shorter last set
which is usually ok since the room may be starting to clear out

A.TomicMorganic

Reaction score
When I retired, we were doing a lot of 2 hour and three hour gigs. Usually starting fairly early like 5 to 7 or 7 to 10. We were playing mostly for older folks, being old ourselves. Back in the day, 4 and 5 hour gigs were the norm 6 nights a week.

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My regular gig is 2 sets of 45 minutes with a 15 minute break in between. But the general norm would be 3 sets of the same length and break times.

Artimas

Reaction score
We do bar gigs that are typically 3 sets of 45-60 minutes with 15-20 in between.

We actually have been asked to cut our sets short a couple of times, because we were playing at an outdoor deck restaurant and no one was leaving. They would sit till the end of the set and the tables weren't turning over fast enough.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My band of all originals? 1 set of 40 minutes.
My band of all jazz standards? 2 or 3 45-minute sets each.